Erratic Revs, Kangarooing and Stalling when cold isn't normal... is it?

crispinbrocks

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a new member on this forum but have been a guest reader for sometime. There look to be a lot of people who know their stuff so fingers crossed you will be able to point me in the right direction with regard to my little problem.... on my car. Its a 2006 A3 Sportback DSG 2.0 with around 66k miles

Here goes - car has erratic revs when idling in neutral which sometimes involves a stall.....
When driving forward or backward on tick over (i.e. in our home or work car parks) the revs can be erratic and the car can stall
When ‘creeping’ in traffic (i.e. stop/go on idle revs/stop/go on idle revs) the revs can be erratic and the
car can stall
If we were to drive from cold and accelerate gently we notice the car ‘kangarooing’
I have a video of the rev counter showing it being erratic and stalling (Audi A3 Erratic Revs / Kangarooing / Stalling - YouTube and Audi A3 / Erratic Revs / Stalling / Kangarooing - YouTube). Apologies for the 2nd video as it has my commentary of whats happening. I promise I am not as boring as it sounds!
This problem happens all year round (i.e. hot weather and cold weather) but is getting more frequent.
It doesn’t happen every time (but is most)
The best way to re-create is to start the car from cold then drive it on its idle speed. The 2nd best way is to just have the car idling and sometimes is happens.
When the problem happens the engine management light doesn’t come on, the car just stalls
This doesn’t happen when the car is at normal running temperature

Its recently had the gearbox oil changed & full service at Audi Southampton (and brake pads changed at local garage). The local expert garage has said its a speed sensor problem in the mechatronic? and needs replacing at a cost of around £2.2k. Sounds expensive (and no guarantees that this will fix).

Its a good garage that has a decent reputation but I am not going to part with that type of money without asking for advise first.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks
Crispin

​Hi Crispin, welcome to audi-sport.net. You will get lots of help and advice in here. Have a read at the faqs threads at the top of this section, lots of useful info in there. Enjoy the forum, :) x

G'day all,

Thought I would finally follow up with this, I took it Audi and explained that it had the problem whilst in extended warranty (I had taken it in during that time frame with this type of problem) and had been fobbed off paying for a DSG oil change. When the car went back in it was 8 month outside this extended warranty but after a load of haggling I wrote to them advising that as a gesture of good will that I would pay for the investigation but they would have to pay for any repairs. I got no response on this but put the car in anyway and would fight paying later. They did the investigation and found it had out of date software, they did an upgrade and its running really smoothly. They also waved the investigation fee. This was all done during 2013.

Cars been trouble free since then. I've sold it now and I have an A6 Estate (kids!)

Crispin

Reactions: S3Alex