erratic idle??

MickA3

Reaction score
Every now and then i start my car i'm getting an erratic idle- it revs back and forth 700-1200 rpm until i move off...anyone know whats causing this?

i get that apparently its a faulty lambda sensor in mine, maybe yours is similar a faulty sensor, have you vag-com the car?

[ QUOTE ]
Every now and then i start my car i'm getting an erratic idle- it revs back and forth 700-1200 rpm until i move off...anyone know whats causing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to be a characteristic of the 1.6 engine, mine does this now and again. Do a search and you'll find a few posts on the subject which may help. Some have suggested that it may be the MAF which needs cleaning or replacing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Thanks for the replies! I might get the garage to stick it on the computer for me- i've been hearing a lot about the MAF causing various problems- how much is one? Can i put it in myself?....

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies! I might get the garage to stick it on the computer for me- i've been hearing a lot about the MAF causing various problems- how much is one? Can i put it in myself?....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a recon MAF will set you back £45 ish and a new one around £90 ish if I recall correctly. Can somebody in the know clarify or rectify these prices??

As for replacing it yourself, yes it's easy, take a look at the instructions for cleaning the MAF in the FAQ post.

my 1.6 does this too...

i'm going to clean the MAF at some point to try and fix it temporarily - until it starts again & then i'll prob replace the unit.

hopefully its not something more critical?!?!

All and i cannot stress enough..all 1.6 engines do this. Its a design flaw some where which just has never been addressed to Audi in full scale.

I've had my MAF cleaned, shined, spit and polished and had all sorts of sensors replaced. Do yourself a favour and sell your car...the 1.6 is a crappy piece of engineering. Its not even an Audi engine... its the block from the VW Golf!

TBH Im getting tired as hell with my A3. Going to get a nice A4 me thinks untill the new Seat Leon comes out (hopefully some time soon).

[ QUOTE ]
Do yourself a favour and sell your car...the 1.6 is a crappy piece of engineering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think i chose a 1.6? if i could afford to insure a bigger-engined car then i would have bought one.

as it happens this flaw doesn't frustrate me that much so i'm going to live with it if u'r right about it being that specific engine type.

i too have been thinking about an A4 - especially as the newest one coming out should have reduced prices on the previous design which i really like the look of.

i dunno... if it wasn't for insurance, hey...?!

[ QUOTE ]
Its not even an Audi engine... its the block from the VW Golf!

[/ QUOTE ]

Most Audi engines are shared with other VAG vehicles - the 1.8 & 1.8T A3 engines are also shared with Golfs & Seat Leons (& Passats & Skoda Octavias etc. etc.). Not a bad thing at all... means there's loads of expertise out there and parts availability will never be a problem!

The 8L A3 is basically a Mk4 Golf under the skin anyway!

MAF price for an exchange one (hand in the old one and get a new one back) is about 75 pounds+VAT. A new one would cost abut 200 if you didn't hand the old one in as exchange.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its not even an Audi engine... its the block from the VW Golf!

[/ QUOTE ]

Most Audi engines are shared with other VAG vehicles - the 1.8 & 1.8T A3 engines are also shared with Golfs & Seat Leons (& Passats & Skoda Octavias etc. etc.). Not a bad thing at all... means there's loads of expertise out there and parts availability will never be a problem!

The 8L A3 is basically a Mk4 Golf under the skin anyway!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasnt disputing the other VAG engines just the crappy 1.6 VAG one.

not really the answer i was after /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

anyone else got any progress info to share?!

my car rarely sits at 750rpm when idling now - seems to always be revving between 800ish to 1500 rpm

not good at pedestrian crossings & not good for fuel consumption.

OK I'll try and be more helpfull, though take the hint of a cahnge of car that it was un-fixable.

Audi basically turned around and said it would cost too much money (not cost effective) for me to let them inspect & replace parts of the car that could cause the erratic idle. They put it down to the 1.6 AKL engine, they didnt come out right and say it was a design flaw but they may as well have done.

I replaced numerous parts of the engine, had numerous services, adjustments, cleans to here and there of this that and more ($$$).

I was also going to take my car to AMD as they sounded really keen to investigate. It may be worth to give them a call. In the end I sold her on. Too much anoyance to have an Audi that sounded like a tractor on unstable rocket fuel.

Quote from email...

"I have checked with Audi today with ref to the idle kick back fault and erratic idle, as per usual they have no record of this being a known fault. I am sure it will become evident once under investigation."

If the issue is that bad then I suggest you take your car to Audi or AMD and get them to clean the MAF and any other sensors, make sure there are no air leaks in the air intakes etc... It sorts the car out a treat BUT the rough erratic idle will still come back after a couple of hundred miles.

Cheers

The only thing I had done that seemed to improve my jerky idle was to have the throttle body cleaned, but it didn't last all that long and car still jerks a bit now, like someone in the rear seats kicking you in the **** now and then.

It's worse with the aircon on too.

Ok...

what happens with my car is that i start the engine, and it immediately idles at about 1200 or so RPM. then, when i'm driving it feels like its running on a bit. if i lift off the accelerator, the car jerks. the rev also bounce between about 1200 and 1500 rpm.

how much would it cost to have the throttle body cleaned? is it something i can do myself?

also, i've tried unplugging the MAF but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

sometimes, turning on the aircon can make it idle at a normal rpm of around 750.

sounds like a mixture of the common kick back fault and rough idle.

The kick back is there to keep the car from stalling, i.e, when you come to a halt in traffic the rpm may increse slightly as the ECU thinks the car is about to stall, of course the car isnt about to stall but have you ever tried arguing with a chip?