Epic mot fail...

slowcoach3

Reaction score
My s3 failed it's mot today...think the tester really wanted to take his bad day out on someone. One of the many fail points was my hel performance stainless braided brake lines on my brembos...brake hose modified and seriously weakened ' both sides. Is he just taking the p%$s or is that a fair thing? They're supposed to be a road legal braking improvements!
My wife , as a joke, bought me a small pair of fluffy dice which adorn the back of the rear view mirror and doesn't detract from vision of the mirror or indeed the windscreen..also an automatic fail. He also failed the correctly working power steering setup as he claimed some of the pipework was modified and not up to task. It's ****** oem, genuine original untouched Audi pipework with vag part numbers!!!!
Am I right to be slightly miffed now? Any suggestions appreciated

Name and shame these w@nkers..trying to make money out of nothing

There based in the back waters of Devon so unlikely to come across many members on here lol
I've been speaking to another tester who has recommend I report the fella to vosa, I'm inclined to do that and find another tester. Some people really take the ****! Surprised he didnt fail the brembos themselves for being aftermarket

Sounds fairly typical for devon tbh

Had to take MOT testers to task for both failing vehicles without proper grounds and passing others in clearly dangerous states (bound brake calipers, broken ARB's etc etc)

imho VOSA need to do a bit more random/blind testing of MOT garages

as is, I no longer have faith in the MOT system as a good method for determinining whether a vehicle is in good/safe condition or not

The DVSA have complaint form you can use: PDF format

You have 14 days to appeal an MOT with the DVSA

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomsy, slowcoach3 and shaunevo6
the fluffy dice are now an instant fail. I recently MOT'd a car with an airfreshener hung from the mirror.

The tester removed it and passed the car, but told me that he should have failled it instantly for obscuring vision.
The rest though,he sounds like an absolute Tw*T!

Reactions: slowcoach3
It's ok though, you can stick your 7" SatNav in the middle of your screen and drive the length and breadth of the country and nobody will bat an eyelid :whistle2:

Reactions: Alex C and slowcoach3
Haha not according to the officer who stopped me in Westminster last year Rainbird. Sat nav should always be for the passenger to look at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the nicest way possible, it's good to hear of something being done about it. They need to apply the area rules as for windscreen cracks really - the disparity is a joke.

My s3 failed it's mot today...think the tester really wanted to take his bad day out on someone. One of the many fail points was my hel performance stainless braided brake lines on my brembos...brake hose modified and seriously weakened ' both sides. Is he just taking the p%$s or is that a fair thing? They're supposed to be a road legal braking improvements!
My wife , as a joke, bought me a small pair of fluffy dice which adorn the back of the rear view mirror and doesn't detract from vision of the mirror or indeed the windscreen..also an automatic fail. He also failed the correctly working power steering setup as he claimed some of the pipework was modified and not up to task. It's ****** oem, genuine original untouched Audi pipework with vag part numbers!!!!
Am I right to be slightly miffed now? Any suggestions appreciated

Other thank the dice this is pretty crazy.

I would approach another station and ask for a free pre MOT check (many will oblige with a quick look) and also contest the failure...

In the nicest way possible, it's good to hear of something being done about it. They need to apply the area rules as for windscreen cracks really - the disparity is a joke.

Agreed especially seeing so many people having them mid screen or up high with cables everywhere
Luckily now I can mount to my dash/over the oem sat nav ***** ;)

Reactions: Rainbird
It's ok though, you can stick your 7" SatNav in the middle of your screen and drive the length and breadth of the country and nobody will bat an eyelid :whistle2:

Funny you should say that. I went on a course with a guy who'd been done for just that by a copper on a bad day :laugh:

Cheers gents! I'm not even remotely bothered by having to remove my dice! It's a new law, albeit a little harsh, so that's totally fine, I won't miss them.
I've spoken to Hel and they've assured me that the brake lines are 100% legal and if the lines themselves are in any way damaged or not up to the job being a couple of years old they'll replace the FOC which is both kind and generous.
I'm hugely annoyed with the tester claiming the power steering pipes are non oem and not up to standard, how the hell do you combat stupidity?!
One other question...i have a standard s3 battery box and standard fitting cover with all oem parts....he failed me on an unsecured battery! I am just going to take it elsewhere, sadly there's no point me getting vosa involved as there's a number of legit fails so even if vosa mot it themselves then it'll still fail on other points

not very constructive .... but I'm jealous. Here you can not mod your car, full stop. The only thing that would probably pass are the dice :-(

Anyway, I would still report them, the only way you can make sure they stop being such a twats. Shouldn't matter if the car had some genuine fail points, all the fail points should be fair, not just some and then some made up ones.

I left the MK2 at a particular London garage last year and when I came back the tester said "yea it's too low to get on the ramp so tell me what advisories you want an I'll pass it!"
I felt the had to report it as that is going beyond stupid, alright some people may know there car is safe despite a failure point but some people will have no clue and be in danger.
Not cool

Reactions: Rainbird
I left the MK2 at a particular London garage last year and when I came back the tester said "yea it's too low to get on the ramp so tell me what advisories you want an I'll pass it!"
I felt the had to report it as that is going beyond stupid, alright some people may know there car is safe despite a failure point but some people will have no clue and be in danger.
Not cool

:wtf:

MOT is a pile of BS money making scheme, in most of the world its your responsibility to ensure the vehicle is road worthy.

Years ago many people never even used to take the modified cars to an MOT station, just call up and get a certificate issued :whistle2:

Reactions: SamHendry and snowy
Days Years ago many people never even used to take the modified cars to an MOT station, just call up and get a certificate issued :whistle2:

:whistle2::whistle2:

(not me)

Last edited:
If you are retesting with someone else then make sure you report the previous tester - as all the same failure details will be visible by the next tester.
if you have a lower engine cover on then he would not be able to see the power steering pipes in the first place would he?

He's obvs a **** so he deserves a complaint, does all depend on who you get and how they feel that day with these testers

I got the car back today and went through the fail list with the car in front of me. Something like 8 fail points on the list were incorrect for e.g. rear fog light not working, switch not illuminating, fog light switch faulty, front brake hoses not held in brackets, power steering pipe rubbing nsf driveshaft ( physically impossible ) were all genuinely incorrect fail points as everything was spot on.
I have now reported the tester, I'm quite upset that anyone who may look at buying my car in the future will find a fail sheet as long as the old testament. Not to mention that the tester is either a, incompetent or b, trying to make money by illicitly getting extra work for the garage.
Just want the old girl on the road now!

he is a thief see you are obviously a conscientious honest guy and thinking he could make some easy money - filling in the MOT form illegally to profit reminds me of the 70's and 80's I am surprised he didn't cut through your drive shaft gaiters and stick a screwdriver through your radiator too.