1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EPC and ESP on after replacement exhaust, now not starting.

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by giblets46, Oct 14, 2007.

1. giblets46

giblets46 Member

[Oct 14, 2007]
    A friend of mine has a 2.0FSi, and the other day the EPC and ESP lights came on and the car went into limp home mode, now the car will not start.
    Had a look and the engine making a whiring noise instead of starting and turning over.
    Apparently last week, the catalyst, and exhaust had to be replaced as it had been damaged somehow... (not sure how), but this was after some complaints about severe rattling like the exhaust ahd fallen off (which it had not)
    Any ideas?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Oct 14, 2007]
    Dont try to start it as it may cause further damage and the only thing is to get Audi to plug it onto the diagnostic machine to see what fault code is logged as it should have one logged with the warning lights coming on.

Does your friend have Audi assist cover? If so they will come to his house or wherever the car is.
  4. giblets46

giblets46 Member

[Oct 14, 2007]
    Don't think they do, cars a 53 plate. Car apparently limped on for a 100yds, and they stopped the engine themselves,and it then refused to restart.
  5. marms

marms Member

[Oct 14, 2007]
    Either Audi or a friend with VAG-COM will be able to scan the car for errors and see whats going on here. Fairly obvious that something has triggered the car into limp mode to protect from further damage. It would be pure guess work to suggest anything before the car is scanned for errors.

As above, I would not drive the car until you know whats going on.
  6. cdb2

cdb2 Member

[Oct 17, 2007]
    Had my CAT replaced on my FSI. There was a terrible rattling sound underneath, they reckoned the CAT was starting to break up internally.

No probs after it was replaced though.