EPC and ESP on after replacement exhaust, now not starting.

giblets46

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 2.0FSi, and the other day the EPC and ESP lights came on and the car went into limp home mode, now the car will not start.
Had a look and the engine making a whiring noise instead of starting and turning over.
Apparently last week, the catalyst, and exhaust had to be replaced as it had been damaged somehow... (not sure how), but this was after some complaints about severe rattling like the exhaust ahd fallen off (which it had not)
Any ideas?

Dont try to start it as it may cause further damage and the only thing is to get Audi to plug it onto the diagnostic machine to see what fault code is logged as it should have one logged with the warning lights coming on.

Does your friend have Audi assist cover? If so they will come to his house or wherever the car is.

Don't think they do, cars a 53 plate. Car apparently limped on for a 100yds, and they stopped the engine themselves,and it then refused to restart.

Either Audi or a friend with VAG-COM will be able to scan the car for errors and see whats going on here. Fairly obvious that something has triggered the car into limp mode to protect from further damage. It would be pure guess work to suggest anything before the car is scanned for errors.

As above, I would not drive the car until you know whats going on.

Had my CAT replaced on my FSI. There was a terrible rattling sound underneath, they reckoned the CAT was starting to break up internally.

No probs after it was replaced though.