1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Environment changes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dgannon69, Jan 31, 2006.

1. dgannon69

dgannon69 Member

Anyone see about this on the news last night? Apparently scientists are saying that the ice caps are melting much faster than expected.

They quoted how far the sea levels could rise but did not say how long it would take which isnt helpful!!

I live on a hill near the malverns so i'm safe from that anyway... but it still scares me to think that most of the UK could be under water in my life time...

Does anyone have any ideas how long its supposed to take?

Regards
    Dave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
  2. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

Scary, I guess Scotland could get more crowded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
  3. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

Yep saw that. Iirc it said 21cm rise in sea level over next 2 generations. So it shouldn't affect us then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
  4. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

The rather serious reports I've been reading on the web suggest that there will probably be a 30cm rise in the next 100years but they are still not sure, there also seems to be more scientists that think this is nothing to do with man (we may be accelerating a natural process a little) as when a volcano erupts etc. That completly dwarfs the quantities of gasses we put into the atmosphere.

I am still very sceptical about everything however I think if I live for another 50years or more I'll be in for a very different world one way or another.
  5. dgannon69

dgannon69 Member

yeh thats fair enough, don't forget that some of us young'ens here might live to see these changes (i'm only 19...

Wish i was an olden now... hehe
  6. fasteddie

fasteddie Member

very doom and gloom here look on the bright side with all that water and increased severe weather think of all that surfing you can get in!
  7. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

We'll probably be nuked before this.
  8. hop2407

hop2407 Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    We'll probably be nuked before this.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif On form as usual matey.... you tell 'em how it is eh..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif
  9. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I firmly believe that Nature is an infinitely stronger force than Mankind, and will destroy Mankind long before Mankind could destroy Nature.

The only thing Mankind does have the power to do is to make the Earth a less pleasant place for itself to occupy.
  10. imported_CurryMilkShake

imported_CurryMilkShake Guest

I wouldnt worry about it Dave. Water is a key ingredient of beer, so if theres too much water around, simply keep on the beer, end of problem.. and if it doesnt work you wont care anyway..
  11. bainsyboy

bainsyboy Guest

The futures so bright we gotta wear shades
  12. mikeA2B

mikeA2B Member

Better get my amphicar ordered then ?