Engines coming out - what else to do?

tupelo

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just after some practical advice on what I could/should be looking at once I get my engine out.

S3 2000 (210) 40k, standard everything, except for a Haldex upgrade.

A knocking sound that I hoped was going to be something simple appears to be more serious. I'm going to get the engine pulled and let the garage take off the head and sump and deal with whatever they find. Grrrr.

Anyway - on the bright side....
I'd like to get any other work done that will be easier with the engine out, (stuff that is likely to break, and/or easy to upgrade).

Once I have a stable smooth running engine I'll gat a remap, just trying to fix the basics.

I'm getting a quote for a sachs clutch, I'll probably get the cam belt and water pump changed; there are probably more things - feel free to shout them out.

Kind Regards

Tupelo

You might aswell get a big turbo conversion whilst you are getting everything done:rock:

Change the water pump for one with a metal impellor, if you don't do it now, you'll only be doing it later anyway....

ive read that its worth while changing the oil pump too. shouldn't be much to be done on a 40k mile engine. :)

metal impellors ? were they ever used later on in the A3 range or it an aftermarket thing

After market thing - the OEM are plastic. Most other manufacturers use metal impellors, It will be VAG trying to save a few quid.

Cheers for the thoughts.
Any idea where I can get the uprated water pump?

I looked at the GT28 but they were 3k - too much too soon for me. I'm checking some other options for turbos.

Cheers
Tupelo

tupelo said:
I looked at the GT28 but they were 3k - too much too soon for me. I'm checking some other options for turbos.

Cheers
Tupelo

if you have a look on pistonheads, quite a few 330-350bhp S3's come up and they struggle to sell. My advice is save your big tuning pennies for an RS4.