1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine whine?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by remslie20, Nov 26, 2010.

1. remslie20

remslie20 Member

[Nov 26, 2010]
    I have a whine coming from the engine bay. Happens when moving or stationary when the car is being revved. It sounds exactly like a police car siren that is quite a distance away. Anyone help as it's driving me nuts and I can't help but think it's going to cost lots to fix!!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. heeman10

heeman10 Audi driver since Dec 08

[Nov 26, 2010]
    Let me guess, first turbodiesel car you've owned? ;)

Turbo's make noises when they spin :)
  4. remslie20

remslie20 Member

[Nov 26, 2010]
    Lol no it's my third, it's not the turbo spooking up i know what that sounds like! Like I said sounds exctly like a police siren in the distance somewhere! It's more of a whine Thanatos whistle, it's starts as soon as I give it some revs and when I'm going through the gears the whine doesn't match the revs as they drop off if you know what I mean!
  5. remslie20

remslie20 Member

[Nov 26, 2010]
    It's done 53,000 miles and has been remapped for the last 30,000. It's a 140 tdi with reborn remap
  6. heeman10

[Nov 26, 2010]
    There seem to be about five posts a month from people asking why their TDI sounds like a police siren, and 99% of them are satisfied once they realise it's the turbo. I'm just following statistics by suggesting that it's probably the turbo :) You said it happens when you rev it when stationary, and when driving, which still doesn't rule out the turbo. If you come on and off the throttle at just the right switching point, you can get the turbo to slow down and speed up so it sounds like a police siren. If you change gear fast-ish (no slower than one second) at higher revs, you won't hear it. The turbo makes more of a whistle when it it spinning fast (i.e. higher engine speeds with medium-large throttle openings), but only makes the lower tones (police siren) at lower engine speeds, or smaller throttle openings (i.e. low boost). Also, if you slow down using engine braking, and downshift to bring the engine revs up to about 3,500rpm, you will hear the turbo whine as the engine slows. The pitch of the whine will then suddenly increase again as the revs come down further and the VNT switches.
  7. remslie20

remslie20 Member

[Nov 26, 2010]
    Thanks for replies, just a little worried as the car has never made that sound at all until a week ago. Reading other posts some have experienced turbo failure soon after there cars started making similar noise, others no problems at all. Just when I thought the car was starting to behave itself aswell as it seems to have been one thing after another since buying a year and half ago. Warranty just ran out two weeks ago too so fingers crossed!!
  8. heeman10

[Nov 26, 2010]
    Bugger! Turbo's do tend to make more noise in cold weather, which is purely down to the increased air density (imagine the drag on the blades in your blender if you try to blend angel delight compared to concrete). Remaps tend to "bring the turbo in" far sooner than the standard map would have done, which means the turbo will probably be spinning faster at idle too. This in turn means that you'll probably hear it do its "wooooooo!" noise if you blip it gently at idle. Road noise means you won't really hear the turbo once you're well up in third gear or above. Perhaps you could get a friend or mechanic who is accustomed to the sounds of a normal engine to have a listen to it :)
  9. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Nov 26, 2010]
    I was about to say weather change maybe the reason.
  10. remslie20

remslie20 Member

[Nov 26, 2010]
    Hopefully thats all it is but it did start before the weather got really cold. Just going by what the missus says as i only returned from two weeks away at work yesterday. Cars in for it's first MOT today and i've asked them to have a poke around see if they can find the problem. Fingers crossed it's not bad news!
  11. mike foster

mike foster Fossie VCDS Map User

[Nov 26, 2010]
    It's the turbo mate. I've had my 2.0 TDI for a year now and when I first got it I was worried that the turbo was on it's way out. Mines a MY2006 with 70k and it's still doing it. Possibility of a leak in one of the pressure pipes can also be a reason for whine.

I wouldn't worry - you will get used to it, and if you turn the radio up a bit you can't hear it at all !!
  12. kkp0897

kkp0897 Member

[Nov 26, 2010]
    I'm a bit baffled as well, my car only whines after the wife gets out - otherwise it is usually her whining that i usually hear.... (normally for trips down to bluewater) PADDY HOPE YOUR READING THIS!! :thumbsup:
  13. V16

V16 Member

[Nov 26, 2010]

If it sounds like that then its definitely the turbo on it's way out, happend to me a while back. touch wood no problems with my Hybrid turbo so far!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  14. remslie20

remslie20 Member

[Nov 26, 2010]
    Garage confirmed it is coming from turbo but emmisions were low during mot and there's no loss of power so he said I shouldn't worry too much! He said he's had quite a few vag cars in for the same problem!