1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine whine. whatever next.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by sportstractor, Jul 23, 2010.

1. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

[Jul 23, 2010]
    Just dropped my s3 down for a service and there had been a whine which has gradually been getting worse, and as I pulled up to the garage it was making a right racket... typical. Anyway Iv asked them to have a look and see if they can source the problem, I think its powersteering related as it seems to change note when steering. Could the powersteering pump be failing? or could the rack cause it, hope not as its had a new rack at 50k. Anybody had such an issue, I need to know best/worst case

hope its nothing too expensive:Flush:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

[Jul 23, 2010]
    lack of fluid or a leak letting air in. the racks should be pretty hardy
  4. Lee172

Lee172 GT3071

[Jul 23, 2010]
    I agree with matt82, i had to top my fluid up the other day because it was whining..
  5. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

[Jul 23, 2010]
    it shouldnt go anywhere so find where its leaking... prolly where it joins the cooler tbh
  6. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

[Jul 23, 2010]
    ah wicked. hopefully thats what it is, i never had the sence to check the fluid level though:think:
  7. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

[Jul 23, 2010]
    well just collect the car after being shafted for a nice sum. All serviced with smooth doors and adjusted handbrake, feels lovely. Its come back with a few item for my attention. First off matt was right ad its leaking on the cooler, noise was just lack of fluid. There is also a few bulbs gone on the 3rd brake light and low on antifreeze. Also says 'front anti-roll bar collars broken'... the guy says i need a new antiroll bar. Perfect excuse for a bigger one maybe