Engine vibration

Option 1

• Total voters

chuffy

Reaction score
I am looking for help finding the cause of an engine vibration at tickover. The car, A4 Avant 1.9TDI Quattro '97 runs perfectly at all other times.

At the correct tickover rpm the engine is very lumpy and the whole car shakes. As soon as the revs increase, 25-50 rpm the engine smoothes out as though nothing was wrong. It is very annoying especially when sitting in traffic.

Can anyone help, the main dealer has not been helpful at all, they want me to buy a new one - i wish!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You will probably find that the fuel mixture when idling is weak and causing the problem.....

Have been reading about these tuning boxes on the 1.9tdi has yours got one one it?.......if so some have a control screw for fuel when ticking over ...you use this to calibrate when fitting to injection pump i think

Thanks for the info - no I did not mean to add a poll, sorry, my first posting, just getting used to it!

Thanks for suggesting a possible cause, I'll get that checked out.

The car does not have a tuning box, I have thought about it, but was wary at 120k miles.