1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine undertray cost?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Oranoco, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Typical isn't it? I have spent 3 days driving sideways without incident then got caught on the lanes as I went to work. As the cars have been along the lane it's worn tyre grooves and a nice mound of ice in the centre of the road. Unfortunately now I'm on coilovers the centre of my car is somewhat lower to the tarmace than it used to be. :( End result the mound of ice in the centre has bashed the undertray pulling it half free and it got pulled under the wheels smashing it and bending the metal brackets.

It's going to have to wait until the new year now and I'll have to be carefull as the sump is now on display to any foreign objects. So what is a new one likely to hurt my wallet for?
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Tbh, if somethings large enough and hard enough to hole the sump, the undertray isnt going to stop it...

Quite a few folk on here run without them.
  3. nomadx

nomadx Member

inc me, I have not run one for about a year, although my car is not as low as yours steve! Just leave it off.
  4. Geeman

Geeman Low Life

Mine's low.

Mine's off.

Live with it!

But... over the last couple of days, the underneath has taken a right hammering from the aforementioned mounds of ice in the middle of the tyre tracks from 'normal' vehicles... not good!

30 miles in 3 hrs on Saturday morning. Also not good!
  5. andybnwc

andybnwc Member

mines off dont even know when or where i lost it lol but there is no damage to the brackets so maybe it was stolen
  6. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Ah well might just forget about it and spend the cash on that shiny intercooler instead then. lol
  7. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

While providing no real protection it does keep all the dirt & debris on the roads away from the oily bits, more of a splashguard than anything else. Pick them up for £10 at a breakers.
  8. phoenixv6quattro

phoenixv6quattro staylowmovefast

Your right it provides F all protection, and is more of a splashguard.....On my daily commute I drive through some very rough B roads, and my car has been lowered so I'm thinking about one of these.......http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=375