Engine Temp gauge

dgannon69

Reaction score
Since i bought the car 8 months ago the engine Temp Gauge has always rested at just above 90.. today its up to the next line past 90... Should i have any reason for concern do you think or is this down to temperature or just the fact the gauge could be a little out?

Regards
Dave

Last week was just as hot if not hotter - what was it doing then?

I don't think I've ever seen an Audi coolant temp gauge go above 90 deg c.

The analogue gauge on the dash does not move, I've started looking at the non adjusted temp on the climate control (code 49 on my car) and I've seen it being as low as 90 and as high as 109 on a run after the engine is warm... norm is around 93-98.

audi sensors really are great aren't they! Coolant sensors that dont move and under-read, and oil level sensors that tell you when your out of oil and your car's already broken...

and thats just when they work!!

Last week it was the same as any other, just rested about 90. i remember noticing it was slightly high when i test drove it the 1st time... i hate having to go back to audi to moan about these little niggles!!!

madvw said:
audi sensors really are great aren't they! Coolant sensors that dont move and under-read, and oil level sensors that tell you when your out of oil and your car's already broken...

and thats just when they work!!

I can see the point in this feature, as I reckon the analogue one will only move when there is something wrong (saving numptie owners worry) I'd rather it tell the ******* truth but hey that's just me, a oil level warning would be a nice touch - especially if it was set ages before you run out.

dgannon69 said:
Last week it was the same as any other, just rested about 90. i remember noticing it was slightly high when i test drove it the 1st time... i hate having to go back to audi to moan about these little niggles!!!

Get back there and MOAN - it *could* be something serious and then you'll want them sorting it! more likely to be a sensor though!

ok guys, fortunatly i remembered how to veiw code number 49 through my climate and it was reading 90 degrees C at the lowest and then it peaked at 93... i guess so long as this is the case i don't really need to worry!

Thank you!!

Dave

Sorry to drag up an old thread...

How do I view code 49?

My gauge usually sits on 90, never ever over. It does sometimes drop RIGHT off to bottom and climb straight back up to opperating. Usually 15 / 20 mins after leaving home. Figured it must be the thermostat opening, but wouldn't that be gradual and impossible to spot? Anyone else get this? Normal?

Ta

press the re-circ button and whatever the button is at the top on that side at the same time (assuming you car is the same as mine), then scroll through the codes (using temp up / down) until you get to 49 then press re-circ again. that shows non adjusted coolant temp. after seeing what this reads I'd be very worried if the dash ever showed anything other than 90 in my car.

just to add...temp gauge is about 20 quid from gsf and alike. swap black one - known to be faulty apparently with green one that has different code... just done this on mine... took about 10 minutes and i am rubbish with cars.

to be honest sounds like all is ok though, except as mentioned above the dash gauge will not tend to move from 90 deg until actual coolant temp is 100+

From what I've seen this summer keeping a pretty close eye on the actual temp it can be anything between 89 and 108 on my S3 and the temp gauge on the dash will not move a wisker from 90 and everything is working as it should.

Tried to get the codes up on mine last eve. Couldn't make it work. Mines a 51 plate. Should the ignition be on / off? assume yours is climate same as mine? I haven't seen any with different?