Sturat

Reaction score
After getting a fault code P0322, I just spent a whole morning trying to find the location of the G28 - engine speed sender on my 2006 3.0 tdi A4 with a BKN engine and automatic JAX gearbox.
The crank sensor / engine speed sensor is situated on the gearbox on the passenger side of my right hand drive car.
To get to it you must remove the front wheel, & remove the drive shaft shields (rubber one then the metal one).
You will be able to see two electrical connectors above the drive shaft that are attached to the gearbox with cable ties. The larger one is light grey in colour (this is the connector for the G28 sensor you are looking for).
You will need to cut the cable ties holding both connectors.
When you pull the connectors from the metal mounts holding them onto the gearbox and move them out if the way the you should just about be able to see the G28. It is situated above and close to where the electrical connectors were situated.
If you can't see it (as it is very awkward) then just disconnect the grey socket from the grey electrical connector and trace the lead with your fingers and that will get you straight to it.
WARNING - **I cannot stress enough that you will need to make sure the car is supported properly and securely on decent/strong axle stands on a level surface and not just on a Jack** this is because you will be lying with your skull directly under the brake disc, between that and the floor and you arms will be wrapped around the drive shaft!!!!
I hope this helps someone as it's a pig to find. Good luck

I have read that the sensor may be visible from above with other engine types, but you definately can't see it from above with the 3.0 v6 tdi.