engine spec for facelift A3? VVT?

s3tle

Reaction score
hi all

i'm looking for a A3 1.8T to replace my 1.6. I would indeally like a DBW, VVT engine in 150bhp spec, i believe the later cars have this but i am interested in when this was introduced, do all facelift cars have DBW and VVT? or were the engine and bodywork updated at different times?

thanks for any help or input
chris

just read that again, sounds like i'm intending on doing a engine swop!!! god no chance!!! replacing 1.6 A3 with a different 1.8T A3!!!!

I think I have some information about this somewhere settle, I think I have it in my computer at home.

I will post it later for you.

IFRC, I do agree with Gambba: DBW come first with VVT later on.

cheers guys

yep thats what i was thinking, also ties in with the 1.8t in the golf and when their spec changed gradually.
Not too sure whether i'm gonna worry about getting a later spec one or not, was thinking to because my friend has a ibiza with a dbw, vvt, and late turbo engine and it seems to pick up better and is more powerful when chipped.

thanks tennisguy more info would be great

[ QUOTE ]
They are more powerful when chipped as they have the later turbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, as of around 2000 KKK (Borgwarner) introduced the K03-053 and K03-058 which both have larger compressor wheels (Same turbine) than the earlier version, and have a higher spring pressure on the actuator to cope with the slightly higher boost, as with the 180hp version.

The other point with the power differences is that KKK say that the earlier ones should only be upto 195 to ensure that overspeeding does not occur, where as on the later ones around the 212 is just fine.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

Why would anyone want a DBW car. I have one it's an A3 8 p. The reason car makers are introducing drive by wire is not for the punter's benefit. It allows them to make more use of computer technology and with appropriate software control what we do with their cars. In other words when you put the pedal to the metal the car accelerates at a rate determined by Audi software engineers. When you take your foot off the engine decelerates according to rules set by environmental considerations.

cheers Gambba
mr Brown the reason i want a later a car isn't really for the dbw but for the later turbo and vvt, which are only avaible on the later cars. With the later spec and like you say audis control, the cars still accelerates quicker because of the vvt and later turbo so one bad point is made up for by a different good point. Also chipped the later cars put out more bhp and torque than an early car, and i would only chip the car rather than do more extensive engine mods.

[ QUOTE ]
Why would anyone want a DBW car. I have one it's an A3 8 p. The reason car makers are introducing drive by wire is not for the punter's benefit. It allows them to make more use of computer technology and with appropriate software control what we do with their cars. In other words when you put the pedal to the metal the car accelerates at a rate determined by Audi software engineers. When you take your foot off the engine decelerates according to rules set by environmental considerations.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a large number of reasons, and most of them to the benefit of the user. For instance you can normally reduce cabin noise by having flexible wiring instead of a cable that needs to take a specific line in order to operate, and a wire never siezes....this is just a minor one, as a majority of items are to do with effieciency, cleaner burn, better fuel consumption, engine protection, increased performance, quicker throttle response...yes quicker.

The list goes on and on as to the benefits of DBW, which is based on me working with DBW systems on an engineering level, so would be inclined to disagree with your comments.

Hope this helps...it's not complete but is drawn from various sourcesm should cover all A3/S3 1.8T variants /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

Engine code AUM is what you need for a UK sourced VVT and DBW car

110 kW (150 bhp) Engines in A3

AGU
12/96 - 07/98
Drive: FWD
Emission: Non-VVT, EU3
Throttle: cable
Injectors: small
Turbo: K03
Gearbox: EVS, EGY

AQA (not available in UK)
Date: 08/98 - 04/01
Drive: Haldex 4WD
Emission: ?
Throttle: ?
Injectors: big
Turbo: ?
Gearbox: ?

AUM
Date: 05/00 -
Emission: VVT, EU4
Throttle: drive-by-wire
Turbo: K03sport
Gearbox: EBN, ENJ, ESV, FDC

ARX (Not available in UK)
Date: 09/00 -
Emission: VVT, EU3
Gearbox: FEX (5-speed, short gearing)

ARZ
Drive: ?

132 kW (180 bhp) Engines in A3

AJQ
Date: 11/98-08/00
Emission: non-VVT, EU3
Gearbox: ? (5 Speed)

APP
Date: 07/99-05/00

ARY
Gearbox: FHA, FEK (6-speed)

AUQ (not available in UK)
Date: 05/00 -
Emission: VVT, EU4
Gearbox: EHA

154 kW (210 bhp) Engines in S3

APY
Date: 11/98 - 09/00
Emission: VVT (mechanical), EU3
Turbo: K04
Gearbox: ? (6-speed)

AMK
Date: 09/00 - 04/02

165 kW (225 bhp) Engines in S3

BAM
Date: 08/01 - 05/02
Emission: VVT (check), EU3

The easiest way to tell if you have a drive-by-wire throttle on your Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda is to simply look for an 'EPC' (Electronic Power Control) light on the dashboard when you turn the ignition on. All A3s from facelift MY01 have DBW but not necessarily VVT.

To tell if VVT when looking into the engine compartment from the grill, look to the right side of the engine block and there'll be a black cylinder mounted. This is part of the crank sensor. The sensor itself is on the other side of the engine.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

Great info on that evotista /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif. Sorry Chris, I cant find that particular info but I think evothista already helped you out.

I do have AUQ one and have a 5 speed tiptronic gearbox.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba

I knew someone would haul me up over use of K03S /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif....i'm aware of the "proper" KKK business...but was lazy and did not edit that info in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif As for the injectors....i sensed the info was wrong...but does a small injectors not imply a large port head?..and vice-versa...big injectors = small port head. I vaguely recall from old threads there are specific cc outputs from the injectors...obviously you know more than me here Gambba...so send me the info and i can repost...specifically what cc was used with K04 as against KKK-05X as against KKK-02X?

The idea here is to get the info as correct as possible so all help welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As i said I was just being picky......my post should of said that I am sure that the injectors were only bigger for K04 applications, because this is what I believe but not 100% on that point, but ETKA would prove that....so when I get a chance I'll check.

Just for a bit more info, here is the story on the turbo's and where they are used.

All the following turbos have the same installation dimensions and
thermodynamical performance. The differences are only in the actuator that
opens the turbine bypass valve:
K03-011 (5303 988 0011) 150 hp, 65 N actuator
K03-026 180 hp, 85 N actuator
K03-035 180 hp, 85 N actuator
K03-044 150 hp, 65 N actuator
K03-045 156 hp (Ibiza Cupra), 85 N actuator with 2 ports
K03-049 150 hp (Sharan/Alhambra), 65 N actuator
The 180 hp versions have an actuator with a higher opening force due to the
higher exhaust gas pressure (which is a consequence of the higher boost
pressure). Otherwise the valve would be pushed open by the exhaust gas
pressure.

The following turbos are a further development (since 2000) and have an
improved and slightly larger compressor while using the same turbine (still
with the same installation dimensions):
K03-052 180 hp, 85 N actuator
K03-053 150 hp, 85 N actuator
K03-058 150 hp/180 hp, 85 N actuator

Consequentially, putting a 180 hp turbo on a 150 hp engine will not bring
about any change in performance, but putting on a K03-052/053/058 instead of
the older versions will bring a slight improvement in engine efficiency.
Additionally, with re-mapping the ECU you can achieve about 215 hp without
danger of overspeeding the turbo. With the older turbos, 195 hp is the
limit.

With the K04 that's also commonly used (5304 950 0001) the power output
should not be more than 220 hp. That means, changing a K03-052/053/058
against a K04 does not make a lot of sense.