1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Rebuild

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by GforceA4, Oct 26, 2009.

1. GforceA4

GforceA4 Member

Hello All

just wondering when i should have my 1.8tqs engine rebulid as mine has done 153,500 miles and what sort of prices am i lookin at for a gd rebuild if it to much, im going to chose a different path to take

cheers for ur help

Gareth
  2. jcb

jcb Active Member

depends why you are getting it built?
    smoking becasue the rings are worn is the main reason, other than that these things will do more miles than you can. I have a Golf GTi on 225k..same block as this.

if you just get new rings, hone and refit that is your cheapest option.
    could be as little as £300, its a head off,sump off job if done in the car (not ideal as the honing process showers the crank in ***** which needs to be washed off very carefully)

but in my opinion if you are doing that get a seperate block (shagged timing belt etc), you can get them for free. do rings, bearings all pumps and seal and drop it in.
    It is cheaper to get work done out of the car than in and for your money you will get more done and have a fresher short block. you will obviuously have to have the old block removed and new one refitted (more cost).
  3. GforceA4

GforceA4 Member

mine just seem noisy or it could be me to be honest lol, still drive ok and pull ok
  4. OllyS4

OllyS4 Member

Might just be because it's getting colder and things tend to sound noisy.
    Is it OK when warm?
    Maybe a good oil change with quality oil might help.
  5. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

How do you mean noisey?

Rattley? or a deeper sound?

A good flush and oil change will work wonders. It's what i have just done on mine and the car sounded much better after