Engine rebuild required on a B8 @68k

Good luck mate, regardless of the result, I hope it gets sorted out.

I went to collect mine yesterday, but it turns out it failed their 'quality control' check and something needs looked at again. I suppose I'm happy that they didn't just give me it away in any old condition. But they have also told me it will have a 2 year guarantee now.

However, like A4B8Sline, I was going away on holiday, but I needed my car for my holiday.

I'm still very impressed with Glasgow Audi, because, as soon I said this, they gave me their virtually brand new A4 Avant demonstrator to take away up north. So I'm now in Aviemore on my holiday with a '62 plate, 2.0TDi with 1700 miles on the clock.

I have got to say, Glasgow Audi have been brilliant so far!

Just hope I am still as happy, when I see my car again. :eek:)

I just dropped my a4 off at audi for the second oil compression test. Hope its nothing serious.

How did your car get on with the 2nd stage of the consumption test mate?
Hope it went well for you.

I got a phone call from Audi yesterday, and my car is now ready to go. However, I am still on holiday, so I will not get it back until Saturday, or possibly even Monday. However, they did offer to deliver it to me whilst I am on holiday, 150 miles away.

cant believe these cars use so much oil? did they say what the problem was? I know my s3 uses oil when on 5w-30 instead of 5w-40 which hardly uses oil. im guessing its the piston rings or stem seals.

I got mine back today. I made good time on my way back from center parcs so phoned ahead and it was ready. Obviously now need to run the engine in for a 1000 or so miles and keep an eye on the consumption. I have noticed the engine seems extremely quiet now as well? Strange, not that is was a tractor either before? Ill keep you all posted on how the consumption goes.

Glad you got your car back, and hopefully thats your problem sorted.

I'm the opposite, I didnt make it back in time, so will now need to wait until Monday to get my car back.

Well I got the car back today, and all seems good. Just a waiting game now to see just how good the fix is!

Just A4B8Sline has said, I'll update with the results as the miles go on.

Treated it to some exhaust tips. The car looked good with the 3 inch exhaust pipe's on either side, however, the tips were just normal exhaust metal.

So here's a before and after..... I forgot to take a full sized pic of the car from a distance, I think it looks great now.👍

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365457803653840

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365457835118806

Cheers for now.

Glad you got it back mate. Fingers crossed it works! Exhaust tips look good. I have them on mine but need to spend a few hours on them due to the carbon build up. Or I'll treat myself to some new ones. Currently done 150 miles and no moment on the mmi oil gauge.

Mine used crazy oil it was breather valve an oil diverted or something like that? Was ok for a bit but then boom engine blow up crank shaft broke to bits from not getting oil got a second had engine fitted for 2300 with new turbo car runs like a dream but still having to top up every month, if I drive normal the oil will last but drive round like an f1 driver an it burns up in no time just keep on top of it an u should be ok

A4B8Sline - hi mate, yep it was good to get it back, and so far all seems well. I have only done about 100 miles though, but the oil level has not budged of 'full' yet.
I forgot to ask at the time, so I phoned them up today to ask if I had to treat the engine like new, and go through a breaking in period etc. I was told 'no' that I didn't need to and that it could be driven normally straight away.
-Were you advised in any way about this???
Thanks.

davybOy -not good, glad you've got it sorted now.

I had the engine cover of mine today to check the pcv valve, was hoping that it would be gone and that replacing this would cure the problem.
No such luck!
Valve is working fine and there was more than the usual amount of oil in the breather pipe.
Not looking good for the bottom half of my engine I guess :(

Fired an email off to Audi customer care today, lets see what they say.........

Good luck mate, hope you get a good result out of Audi.

My local dealer said I should run the engine in for a 1000 miles and keep it below 3000rpm. To be honest though my day to day driving I don't need to go above 3000rpm as there's plenty of torque as you know from 1500rpm to pull you along comfortably. Average mpg according to the DIS is 42mpg since the work which is a bonus.

That sounds like a good result mate. Likewise I don't generally push the engine either, but wanted to ask them the question, mainly cause my revs crept up in 2nd gear during some roadworks on the motorway today without me realising (this 2.0T engine is 'so' quiet compared to my previous R32).
I never mentioned this to them, but they said normal driving can resume immediately. I will be careful with it for a while, but then many argue that this issue came about from a 'soft' break in period, and that a 'hard' break in can be better (if done correctly obviously). Who knows???

Thats brilliant that your fuel economy has improved, can't say that I've noticed a great improvement that way, but Ive hardly used it yet. Hopefully I will see some improvement.

Have posted this in the thread with my car in, but thought I would also post here so people are aware.
Phoned Audi customer services today, they know there is an issue and believe my car shouldn't have the issues it has at this mileage and with full history.
Booked in at local dealers on the 25th for first oil consumption test.
He did tell me how many miles they wanted me to do, but my response was I will see you way before I cover that or it will chuck a rod.
Very happy so far with how they are treating me - long may it continue :)

450miles in and oil is on maximum. It did drop about 1/6 on the mmi briefly but randomly it's back on full. Looking good so far.....

It's a total mindf@ck this! Surely these engines are not fit for purpose and this " 1000 mile per 1lt of oil" is a cover up and clearly sh@t! Scarey thing is, I reckon they don't know why some engines....even the engine codes that are notorious seem ok, yet others on the same code drink the stuff!.....A modern engine that is serviced and has been properly looked after with the correct oil should not be burning that much oil imho! Just out of curiosity, is there any improvement on changing the oil type and viscosity.

Cheers
A

I'm also wondering if changing to a differant oil may help, perhaps a 10-40. I've done 300 miles since adding 1 litre of oil last weekend and the MMI is now showing just under 1/4 so doubt ill even get 400 miles from this litre, and I've been driving sensibly

Mine was in Audi today for consumption test 1 - left a note in the car at the same time explaining just how much oil it uses.
They have skipped test 1 and gone and fitted the breather bits and bobs to the car. ( I was at work and the wife picked it up ).
It now has 600 miles to prove itself or could well be in for the bottom end to get done.
Again a big thank you to Audi who have done this FOC.

By my rough workings out since we have owned the car, it's doing about 255 miles on 1L of oil. Makes the RX8 look real good. LOL.

GREAT to see that Audi are looking after others as well now. Jaysback - your oil consumption sounds like it could be even worse than mine was. I'm sure you will be getting a re-build very soon, and I hope Audi treat you as well as they treated me.

Well I've now done 400 miles since the engine re-build, and hopefully I am not tempting fate, but I am still showing FULL oil level on the MMI, so all seems good so far. I would have used 'well' over a litre of oil by now, before the re-build was done. I have NOT noticed any kind of increased fuel economy though.........

A4B8Sline - do you still feel as though you are getting better fuel consumption???

Cheers

cant believe these cars use so much oil? did they say what the problem was? I know my s3 uses oil when on 5w-30 instead of 5w-40 which hardly uses oil. im guessing its the piston rings or stem seals.
I don't know if you can run the 2.0TFSI in the A4 on 5w40 oil tough?

Had the same problem with my 2.0tfsi, had it for two oil consumption tests passed the first one. witin 6 months it failed the second one had the first mod done at the time of the first test, Audi then did the rebuild pistons etc that come from the A3 of all things.

My car is a late '10 2.0tfsi Avant Quatro, and the rebuild was done under warenty by Audi, and since then have covered nearly 5k miles and only seen a drop on the mmi of three bars, befrore I needed 1ltr of oil for every 800 - 1000 miles. The car had been heavey on oil form new and had reported it to Audi, I had also on a few occasions seen smoke from the exhaust and very black exhaust tips.

Now the repairs have been done the oil usage is now almost non existant and expect to go to the next service without the need to add any oil, that should mean a milage of 7k - 8k miles with no topup.

Right gents, I have now covered 1000 miles since the rebuild was done. The oil has moved slightly off the top of the mmi. A bit concerning its moved but I would have been well into my second litre now before the work was done. I presume some consumption might happen during bedding in. The exhaust tips aren't as black either now between washes.

AudiAvant- yes the fuel consumption is definitely improved. I'm averaging 39mpg currently according to the dis over the 1000miles covered. Used to see about 35 on my usual commute. Odd?

I expect my MMi to show arround half by the time it's due a service in July. I remember from memory putting in over 6L of oil in the same distance covered last year.

My car has only done 24k from new so I am now happy that it now only consumes a fraction of what it was using. If anyone is interested the total warenty cost on the copy of the paperwork sent to Audi was £3536.41with 35 lines of parts, glad I did not have to pay for this repair.

It looks like Audis's labour charge for the work (tpi 2024604/23) was £1917.16 the rest of it parts, obviously there is no VAT on any of th parts or labour.

If you think you have the problem keep on at your dealer and get them to pay for it, or you might be left with a very large hole in your wallet.

It's not looking good for mine, 150 miles covered so far and MMI is now half way:(
I spoke with the service department today to give them an update, now awaiting a call back.
If Audi refuse to help with this part I will look at getting forged pistons and H beam rods fitted and deal with the issue with some uprated parts and probably for less than Audi would charge.
Q:- Is it the K04 on the b8 quattro's, beleive I read it is?

Audi called back today, it's going in on the 21st for consumption test 2, told they will have it for 2 possibly 3 days.
This could well mean they will be doing my bottom end for me (oh er missus).
I think I will give them a call tomorrow just to confirm I am not going to end up with a £3.5k bill at the end and to find out exactly what they are going to do.

Good luck mate. Certainly find out what they are going to offer you or hopefully pay it all for you. I think the B8 is a k03 turbo. Someone might be able to confirm for us. Let us know how you get on.

Well 300 miles into my 2nd compression test, the oil light came on, so I phoned the Audi Garage to confirm what to do. The Service Girl said that they could not do anything until I had reached the required mileage as stipulated by the test. I did point out that if it needed topping up already, surely it had already failed the test, but she assured me I still had to do the required mileage before they could look at it. So I topped up the oil and pointlessly drive 200miles to get the mileage up. I'm going on holiday next month and have over 1000miles to cover so needed it sorted before then. During that 200miles, the light came on twice more! (with me topping up half a litre in between). The next day the Audi garage told me to drive to local VW garage (the Audi garage is 45miles away) where they would check the fluid levels and give me a courtesy car (a very nice 2.0TDI Bluemotion Sirocco). Audi phoned me today to say they now had my car and they said it would have to undergo another test with 600miles needing to be covered as the Service Girl gave me the wrong info when I called her before and the car should have been recovered to their garage. The manager is now going to run my car for 600miles, whilst I get a nice 13 plate A6 S line Avant, in white, for 2 weeks to go on holidays with! (only downside is it's an Auto!). Well fingers crossed they find out the problem.

Received a call from Audi today. They have confirmed that it still has an issue with oil consumption but were surprised how clean the tail pipes were. Once I explaned that the black on them was only 200 miles worth as I had polished them to see if the last fix had worked.
Just have to wait now for Audi UK to hopefully give the go ahead to fix it.
Should know by tomorrow, but till then I have a A3 1.6td s line with 1300 miles on it to roll around in.

How many miles has your car done Jaysback?

how much are main dealers charging for the oil consumption tests?

Mine has 67k on the clock.
Audi have not charged me anything thus far, I am now at the point where they have offered to cover 100% of the parts and reduce the hourly rate from £120 to £75 for the bottom end to be sorted.
This would leave me a bill of £2500 or there abouts.

I have been in touch with Dialynx and they would just replace the rings, hone the block and fit a uprated breather system for around £1700. They are convinced it doesn't need the pistons and rods.

My oil consumption test was lost in my bill. I also had a few oil top ups included.

jaysback, audis price for you seems steep. Yes I know I paid a lot but audi can better that price they offered you. It's amazing how the prices differ. I honestly couldn't say for sure the pistons need changing. But while that part of the engine is opened up its prob worth doing incase it turns out to be the pistons too. I've now just about covered 2000 miles since the repair and the mmi is on full. Randomly it the mmi drops about 1/5 then returns too full. I've checked with a dipstick and there's plenty of oil. So, so far the repair has fixed the consumption.

Update - That's me now over the 1000 mile mark since the engine rebuild, and it hasn't budged at all from the MAX oil level. So it seems that the repair has been great so far. However, I have defo not seen an improvement in fuel economy, like others have. Can't have it all I suppose. Good luck to those still waiting for the repair, and I would 'really' push Audi on the cost. As they are offering 'very' different costs/expenses/bills across the country, but they are still just the same company.....

Hello,

For those who rebuilt the engine, can you help me with the code of the pistons? I have the same problem with oil consumption.
Thanks!

Not sure if this is the correct part number but here is the text relating to pistons.
V06H 107 065 DD V06H 107 065 CM/PIST. The invoice is two pages long with numerous other parts. Have you been to audi to see if they will help you out?

I did tell them I was taking it to Dialynx as they can and would do it cheaper. There was never any better offer on the table.
For the price Audi quoted I could get forged rods & a lightend / balanced crank done by dialynx.

Car is into Dialynx tomorrow for breather test / mod.
Oil seperator with a sump return for the oil & it retains the breather.
If that's not enough then we will move on to getting the rings fitted.
Much better price option, feel a Revo coming on ;)

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Not sure if this is the correct part number but here is the text relating to pistons.
V06H 107 065 DD V06H 107 065 CM/PIST. The invoice is two pages long with numerous other parts. Have you been to Audi to see if they will help you out?

Thank you for your answer.

I`ve been to Audi dealer and for the beginning they change the oil separator and made an update to the soft.
For the moment i don`t know if they will support the costs for engine rebuilt.

Well just had my phone call from Audi yesterday. Suprise suprise, my car failed the oil compression test. The local Audi dealership said that I would require new pistons and crankshafts etc and the bill for parts would be £3200 and would require 24hrs labour. They have offered to pay 100% of the labour costs and 75% of the parts costs, leaving me with a bill for £255! Not bad for a car out of warranty! I didn't even need to ask them for good will! It just shows that it pays to keep up the service history with Audi.
I'm just wondering though that it might have just been easier for them to replace the whole engine!
Think I should ask???:think:

Come resale it will be easier if you just have it repaired rather than having an engine replacement. A new engine would be better as it's new but it often puts people off.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Hmmm good point. I'm hoping that there will be some kind of warranty with the work done like some other people have had.