Engine rebuild advice needed

patTTpoa

Reaction score
As some of you may know, I've got to replace the engine in my S3.
Now I'm picking up a AGU engine thrus/fri this week & as soon as I've got it home its coming apart to be checked over etc

My main question is what should I do with it in terms of upgarding things (internals)?

My list so far is forged con rods, but I'm not sure if there is any thing else I should do?

Pat

Rods are the main thing they are defi nately a must if tuning and putting more power through the engine

Exhaust valve guides are worth doing in the head as they can wear quite a bit

You'll need to change the big end bearings anywAy as you're fitting rods. Well worth changing crank bearings as well. Also it was me I'd change the oil seals at both ends of the crank. Not heard of them failing but better to be safe than sorry. Also get a new oil pump and oil pick up. Agagain pump not exactly necessary but well worth it and pick up is a must. New piston rings on the old agu pistons and you'll be good to go.

may as well do the rings and hone the bores when its apart tbh.

Get the valve guides checked and replaced if needed and have the valves lapped in.

Replace the oil pump too.

Thanks, I'll get a list together then I'll post it up to see what you think.

Pat

Hello again :p

I went on a bit of a road trip last night & picked up an AGU engine which I won on ebay.

The bloke I got it from was sound & I had a good old chat (like you do) with him, as he is well into his VAG's.

:blahblah1: anyway....

He gave me a few extra bits & bobs which are of no real use to me, but I took them anyway :icon_thumright:

But one of the bits was a solid flywheel, he told me that it's a G60 ABF flywheel!

Which if it is could I use it?

Pat

Yes I believe you can use it called a solid mass flywheel, used as an upgrade to dual mass flywheel. Maybe worth getting it refaced though just to be sure it's ok, well worth fitting though.

......But one of the bits was a solid flywheel, he told me that it's a G60 ABF flywheel!

Uses a 228mm clutch plate vs the S3's 240mm so not a straight swap... not seen it done on an S3 tbh as the clutch is smaller... depends what you want I guess...

<tuffty/>

Uses a 228mm clutch plate vs the S3's 240mm so not a straight swap... not seen it done on an S3 tbh as the clutch is smaller... depends what you want I guess...

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the info, so it's a no no.
Never mind, I'll put it on the bay with the rest of the bits

Pat

Good work. I managed to source an AEB head recently too. What are your plans for the engine?

I'm going to do a full strip down & rebuild, full head service & bottom end forged rods etc.

I'm trying to put a list of parts etc together so you guys can have a look over.
I know one thing the misses isn't going to be happy if she see's the prices, so we'll keep that on the low yeah?! Lol

Pat

I'm going to do a full strip down & rebuild, full head service & bottom end forged rods etc.

I'm trying to put a list of parts etc together so you guys can have a look over.
I know one thing the misses isn't going to be happy if she see's the prices, so we'll keep that on the low yeah?! Lol

Pat

Know that feeling misses is at the last thread with costs on mine keep promising to save for a house lol

LOL great stuff!!

Ok heres my list of parts for you guys to have a look at, add to the list if you feel I've missed anything

Complete Gasket Set
Head bolts
Valve oil seals
Forged con rods - Hopefully already sorted
Piston Rings
Wrist Pins
Crank bearings & big end bearings
Water pump
Oil pump
Cam belt kit
Spark plugs
Clutch kit
Engine oil

If you think I should add or take off anything say, as you guys know the in'n'outs!

Just a thought........ but should I think about a hybrid turbo now?

Pat

I didnt bother touching the wrist pins when i did mine.

Used the original pistons and pins, and new brute rods.

You'll need to ask around and find a decent reputable local engineering shop.

You'll want the bores checked and if within tolerances honed. My block had a ridge on the cylinders, but the bores were still within tolerance, so i just had it honed and reused the original pistons. If they're out of tolerance you'll have to rebore and go for larger pistons. I also had the block face skimmed very slightly to ensure a perfect seal on the new headgasket.

With the head i had it lightly skimmed to ensure it was flat, washed heavily as it was caked in sludge, then i had the valve guides checked and the stem seals replaced.

From memory, i paid around £100 for the block prep and about £150 for the head work.

^^ thanks for the info, I will be getting everything checked over.
Lol there's not going to be any "it'll do" round here, if it needs sorting - it'll be done

Pat

Pat
Amen....:whistle2:

Honestly darling it only cost £20 on ebay..... Its amazing what you can get! Done me good for a couple of years now. Pat where are you based in Devon?

Honestly darling it only cost £20 on ebay..... Its amazing what you can get! Done me good for a couple of years now. Pat where are you based in Devon?

I'm in Exeter, were abouts are you?

Mortonhampstead but I work at the Rusty Bike in Exeter so I'm in there everyday. I'm running late actually playing around on here when I should be in my kitchen! If you ever need a spare pair of hands I'd be more than happy, running out of things to do on my A3....!

Mortonhampstead but I work at the Rusty Bike in Exeter so I'm in there everyday. I'm running late actually playing around on here when I should be in my kitchen! If you ever need a spare pair of hands I'd be more than happy, running out of things to do on my A3....!

Cheers dude that's good to know!
Do you go down maccys?

Pat

Cheers for the list matey. It's not a cheap job if you want to do it properly, even if you do all the work yourself and save on labour.

I haven't even priced any of it up yet, I've got one hell of a sweat on just thinking about it! Lol

No, really it's got to be done properly as it would be easy just to put the AGU lump in as it is & drive, but knowing my luck with the car so far it would go bang on the way home!

Pat

I've never been down to maccys, didn't know anyone and had the impression it was for the younger generation ( corsa crew) if there is some VAG boys i'll make effort! God that sounds really bad. Sorry!

I picked my agu head up last Saturday got it for 70 got price and in great nik too sending it to drakes enginers should cost me about £160 for everything doin like but be werth it.

The cams I have In mine now are worn and have marks so want to get it off looks like oil starvation or something from preveas owner just my rods now and I'll be on with my build

I've never been down to maccys, didn't know anyone and had the impression it was for the younger generation ( corsa crew) if there is some VAG boys i'll make effort! God that sounds really bad. Sorry!

I was just asking as I would have popped down in my misses car, always full night times tho!
Have seen a few VAG motors about!

Pat

I picked my agu head up last Saturday got it for 70 got price and in great nik too sending it to drakes enginers should cost me about £160 for everything doin like but be werth it.

The cams I have In mine now are worn and have marks so want to get it off looks like oil starvation or something from preveas owner just my rods now and I'll be on with my build

That isn't a bad price £160 for a head service!
I remember on a C20LET head a few years back it being best part of £200 +vat!

Pat

I no pal well chuffed with it cannot wait to start it all after Christmas

Don't want to derail your thread but I'll make the effort to sort my work/life balance out and get down there, it would be good to meet up with some fellow audi tinkerers in the area!