Engine problems help needed ASAP

bellamy2010

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I currently have a 2005 Audi a3 1.6fsi on 61,600 miles and have only owned the car since dec 2010 with 60,300 miles. The problems I have are as following:

1 - After owning the car for a couple of days I had the engine emissions light come on the dash! I contacted the dealer and they told me to take it to a garage where they would check the fault. They plugged in a device (not laptop) to the car and it came up as an exhaust sensor problem. They reset the light and it came back on within a week. When I bought the car I was told it had been serviced (the day before collection) yet I then had the oil minimum light come on (this is only after 500 miles of owning the car) I checked the oil and the light went off for a few days. The light then came back on so I took it to the car dealership I purchased it from and they said they would top it up (pretty much a whole litre of oil went in) and I took it to another garage (under warranty) and had the oxygen sensor replaced.

On collection of the car from the garage where the sensor had been replaced they mentioned that their was a few other faults but could be related to the sensor issue.

I noticed recently that the car fan kicks in after only a few minutes of starting the engine up and it doesn’t go off until is turned off. I checked with the garage where the sensor was fixed and they checked the job sheet and mentioned that there was also an additional problem with the coolant fan fault that wasn’t mentioned to me.

I have spoken to the dealer where I bought the car and they said they have checked with Audi Bexley and the car is using the correct amount of oil. How can a car go through 1.5ltr + of oil in less than 1000 miles?

Where do I stand with this problem considering the amount of issues I have had in the last 2 and half months since purchase?

I need to contact the garage tomorrow morning so would appreciate some advice this evening if possible.

Regards,

Ashley

I had the emissions light on my 2007 1.6 FSI after 26,000 miles. It turned out to be a fault with the catalytic converter but fortunately audi replaced this under warranty, its quite a cheap thing to fix.

Exhaust sensor problems could be a number of things. You'd be best asking the garage to give you the exact fault codes which they found and put them up here, somebody should be able to give you a bit more advice.

Oil usage sounds strange, i know that this has been an issue on the 2.0 tdi engines but never heard of it on the FSI.

Was the car purchased from an audi dealer?

Good luck getting it sorted

thanks for the reply. The car was purchased from a local dealership with 12 months warranty and the exhaust sensor has been replaced with a new oxygen sensor. The main problem is the amount of oil being used? I have had so many problems with this car since purchase, wish i had kept my TT mk1!