1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Oil -

AlexGSi2000 Mar 26, 2012

1. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Afternoon -

Engine oil is one of the areas that I spend a while researching - reading up on.
    I consider it "the" most important part of a car due to the job it does - lubricating & keeping the engine clean.

I am just curious as to what brand & type of oil people use on here?

At the minute I am using Shell Helix Ultra 5-40 in my 2.5TDi.

Just looking at finding out what people have used / use and what their thoughts are.

I also usually change my oil and filter every 5/6k - currently toying with the idea of moving to an ester based oil as opposed to a mineral base-stock.

2. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

I use Castrol, the gold bottle stuff. 505.01 I think for the PD130 engine.

3. oilman

oilman Active Member

If you can use an ester based oil, it will give the best protection. What year is the 2.5tdi?

Cheers

Tim

4. i have a 2ltr petrol FSi SLine - can anyone recommend the best oil for mine too please

5. oilman

oilman Active Member

Is it standard/modified and road/track/mixed use?

Cheers

Tim

6. _G_

_G_ Active Member

Valvoline SynPower XL III (5w-30)

Researched it to death using various websites and experimenting as well. Used to use Castrol Powerflow III... which was later replaced by Edge I believe... and personally the Powerflow III was quite good but the edge burns more quickly... and gets dirty more quickly...

I have used Valvoline for the last 8k miles and changed twice every 4k miles... I think I've found the right oil for me.