1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine not turning

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by mrjheeta, Feb 9, 2009.

1. mrjheeta

mrjheeta Member

hey all,
    got a little problem with the car, when i go to start it, its not always turning over first time round, have to pull out the key, then put it back quickly then start and it does. done a scan n no faults, anybody got any clue as to what it cud be? oh n when its started, it runs fine...
    thanks,
    G.
  2. evilscotsman

evilscotsman Space Cowboy

It cant be the immob / key cos the Audi will crank but not start with a dead key (mine did this when my other key fecked up) - so it is most likely an ignition switch fault mate, but could be a dodgy starter solenoid. My money is on the ignition switch feed to the starter.

Do the dash lights come on as normal when it refuses to turn over? What does the car do when the key is turned, just make a clicking sound or nothing?
  3. mrjheeta

mrjheeta Member

hi, the dash lights come on as normal, as they would do. when i turn the key to start, it doesnt do anything, no clicking sound... is the ignition switch a common fault?
  4. evilscotsman

evilscotsman Space Cowboy

dunno mate not that ive heard but little else makes sense, it could be an ignition fuse, a wire broken, or the switch itself isnt making the START contacts, or the starter motor itself has died. You would need to check stuff one at a time to track it down, have you got a mate thats handy with a multimeter?
  5. 129gt

129gt New Member

Hmmm,
    mine has just started to do this also.
    Only seems to be on a cold morning though.
    Did you find a solution mrjheeta?
  6. mrjheeta

mrjheeta Member

hi mate, to be honest with you, for the last couple of days, its been ok, if i keep the key held for a second to turn the car on, it will start turning. but this has only been once, the other times ive started it, it seems to start fine. not sure of what it could be, it is quite annoying though when it doesnt start. when it happens again, ill have to take it down to the mechanics and see what they have to say.
  7. a4 2.4 se

a4 2.4 se V6

My b5 used to do this it turned out to be the reader coil