Engine noob. Disconnected pipe.

jjhwk__

Reaction score
IMG 2005
I was poking around my engine today whilst checking on oil levels and topping up washer fluid when I noticed a pipe with nothing connected too it (shown above) the pipe with nothing on it comes out of the air box. After a bit more digging I found the black pipe next to it was meant to be connected too it. So I hooked it back up and started the engine only for it to idle very lumpy at lower than usual revs.

I have to apologise for being a relative car noob, and don't know the ins and outs of engines so any advice as to what's going on here would be much appreciated!

Car is a 2006 1.6 petrol.

Where does the other end of the flexi pipe go to?
It disappears under the bottom left of the engine cover so I'll take that off and have a look tomorrow when it's bright out.

A quick look on google shows that flexi pipe going into an elbow and into the filter housing.

Attachments

• 26059533_8.jpg
    26059533_8.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 91
Yeah, it's the other end I was asking about. It's obviously not vacuum at that point. It could be a water drain or something, so curious why it causes tickover issues.

Its a bit like taking the oil filler cap off, you get tickover issues because its all part of a closed circuit breather system i expect, if it can draw air in there , no point in having a filter further down the line. I expect the flexi pipe goes to some sort of breather box

Its a bit like taking the oil filler cap off, you get tickover issues because its all part of a closed circuit breather system i expect, if it can draw air in there , no point in having a filter further down the line. I expect the flexi pipe goes to some sort of breather box

But isn't the OP asking why the tick over is better without the pipe connected?
The only thing I can think of is that the filter is blocked and not getting enough air through it, made worse once you connect that pipe back up perhaps?

Yea you are right, i misread the first post...anyway the OP seems to have got a bored as i have with the whole thing :)
Cant imagine a filter so blocked it wont flow air at tickover unless it got soaking wet and shrank and went hard.v

Sorry haven't been able to get online the past days as we had new broadband fitted, anyway I replaced the filter and re connected the pipe, some tickover issues at first but then took it for a long drive and its much smoother now, thanks for your suggestions guys.