1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Mounts

tompearson Jan 24, 2010

1. tompearson

tompearson It's all in bits

Should this have a 3rd bolt in the middle at the top of the mount where there appears to be a threaded hole? (S3 near side engine mount)

[​IMG]

If so what bolt do I want to get? - or can anyone recommend some uprated mounts as I am tempted to replace mine. I've only seen a THS set or just the powerflex dogbone so far.

2. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Just had a look at mine and is not got anything in so nowt to worry about...

I have THS mounts on my car and they aren't bad for the money...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showth...s-S3-minor-modding-thread&p=801141#post801141

Just checked the offer code (SCNFR3CMP) and it still works so grab a barg..

http://www.thsperformance.co.uk/product/FR3_Full_Engine_Mounting_System_THSFR3-CMP

An alternative of course you could get some Vibratechnics fast road mounts but they are quite expensive.

<tuffty/>

3. tompearson

tompearson It's all in bits

Thanks for looking.

I am hoping if I replace or upgrade they will take some of the slack out of the system which seems a lot more noticeable since the clutch was replaced. Is there a way of checking if the ones on the car are past it, or do they have a lifetime?

I saw in your build thread (a great read by the way) you had the THS ones. Do you find they transmit more vibration into the cockpit than the standard ones though?

Out of interest, does anyone know how much a set of OEM ones are for comparison?

4. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

Not really any way of checking thoroughly, apart from dipping the clutch with the handbrake on in 1st and getting someone to check for excessive movement...

To be fair, that mount (gearbox side) is very easy to remove. Trolley jack under the engine, unbolt mount from gearbox, unbolt mount from chassis leg. That way you can have a good inspection. It shouldn't move hardly at all under pressure from your hands, if it does flap about, replace.