Engine Management warning light on.

RacingTeatray

Freezing in Moscow
Reaction score
Help!

The engine management light on the dash on my A3 TQ has just lit up for no apparent reason. I rang Audi Assist and they advised that so long as the car seemed normal (which it does) then I could safely finish my journey provided I pulled over the moment anything seemed amiss (so far so good) and that I should take it to a dealer asap. So it's off to Docklands tomorrow.

Anyone have any idea what might cause this? It's only been 7 months and 5k miles since the last service (car's done just under 43k) and everything seems pretty normal otherwise.

It could be a number of things. Especially if the car seems to be running fine.

You won't know until another sypmtom appears or until you get the fault codes read.

Ok thanks for the thoughts

The car's gone in this morning so I'll wait to see what a diagnostics check throws up. The dealer has kindly indicated that if they cannot locate any fault or only a minor sporadic one, then there will be no charge so lets hope that's the case!

i had this fault on my s3, intermittant so dealer found hard to trace diagnostics came up with cooling problem and seven months later found faulty coolant temp sender. hope this helps

yeah that sounds like is happening with mine, but the wife is reporting that it came on ONCE during a drive, and it went off again about 30 minutes later. few strange things happening really, the DIS says OK and all that so im thinking its sensors

oh in quick addition to this and feel free to make me a laughing stock but ummm... all my DIS does is show me the 'OK's ..and not much else. theres a black panel above the OKs which never lights up with anything. Cos im new to Audi, im not sure what to expect. Should this be switched on or somethin? how does one do such a difficult task!!?? hehe sorry lads i know, thick as mince but hey - we all learn from scratch huh?

Right.

According to Docklands Audi, the reason the light came on was because the throttle body that regulates the fuel supply to the engine (at least I think that's what he said - it sort of flew over my head because I was in a rush to pick the car up) was completely gunged up and not working properly. Anyhow they cleaned it all out and tuned the car up and it now seems all hunkydory. It's also cured the hesitation in the acceleration when the car was first started which was probably linked to that.

So no new parts needed and other than that the car is apparently fine.

The panel above the DIS display in mine is blank when the stereo is off but when the stereo is on it either displays the name of the radio station, "tape" if I'm playing a cassette or the number of the CD selected. Or "Telefon" if I'm making a phonecall.