1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Management Lights On... Stall's when cold.

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by kaz219, Jul 17, 2008.

1. kaz219

kaz219 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 17, 2008]
    Hi there,

The yellow engine management lights come on the dash and i'm not 100% sure what it's to do with.

The car seems to be running fine but sometimes stall's when reversing and braking in the morning and it idle's a bit up rough (barely noticable to the average person) when cold...

But Apart from that, everything seems fine.

I haven't got VAGCOM so can't check it myself but any ideas what the prob could be?

Sounds liek the MAf sensor to me but unsure?

Orrr.. if anyone has VAGCOM in the Manchester Area (Near Old Trafford), I'd be more than happy to pay for a few pints if someone could get VAGCOM on it.

Cheerss
  2. Ads

Ads

[Jan 31, 2015]

3. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

[Jul 17, 2008]
    coolant temperture sensor used to cause a few problems on the old 8L model, rough when cold. I havent heard if the newer model has that issue too.
  4. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

[Jul 17, 2008]
    Would you have had your timing belt or water pump replaced recently?

My brother's GTI had similar issues with the management light and the car then cut out once or twice. VAGCOM showed faults with the Mass Air Flow sensor. Turned out there was a pipe loose after replacing the belt and pump. I cleared the errors in VAGCOM and he tightened the pipe and all is back to normal now.
  5. kaz219

kaz219 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 18, 2008]
    I've got my car booked in for a massive service (everything inc. Cambelt, Tensioners, Waterpump, Oil etc.)

Mass Air Sensor was my first hunch as it cuts out when reversing but only when cold....

I'll check for loose pipes and split pipes but the car seems to running fine :S

Is there anyway i could check the M.A.S sensor without VAGCOM?

Cheers