Engine Management Light on but no symptoms??

Mikebabs1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Last week, whilst driving home from work, the engine management light flicked on, and stayed on, yet there's no obvious symptoms that anything is wrong.

Car is as per signature with 93k on the clock, had a full service 2 months ago at 90k.

Any ideas as to what could have caused it to switch on, or is it a vag-com job? One of the coilpacks went about 7 months ago, and the light came on then, but it was obvious from the juddering that the coilpack had gone. I replaced it and the light went off. This time the car is driving as normal.

I'm driving down to France in a couple of weeks, so need to get it sorted.

Cheers

Mike

Probably just a sensor gone out of spec. VAGCOM should tell you which. Probably not that important an issue if running hasn't changed.

Agreed, likely to be a random sensor. I had this on my A4 soon after I got it & turned out one of the main catalytic converters had failed (the 3.0 has several!), luckily she was under a 1yr Network Q warranty which covered pretty much everything so didnt have to shell out the £700'odd to have it changed! Hopefully you dont have anything similar of course, but get a fault scan done before you go on your trip.

Thanks for the replies guys ... now i'm scared! :eek:)

Will get it checked.

Mine is constantly on. Has something to do with MTM chip i have. The error description of the diagnostics says "ECU Destroyed"! The car runs fine.