1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Management Light on and DSG not matching revs

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Rob_A3, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Rob_A3

Rob_A3 New Member

[Oct 26, 2011]
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum - I was hoping my first post wouldn't be about a problem with my car, but it looks like the gremlins had other ideas.

I've bought an '08 A3 170 TDI S-line with the DSG gearbox and 30k on the clock about two months ago. We've been getting along fine until this morning when the engine management light came on. I've booked it in with Audi for them to take a look at, and since the car still seemed to be driving fine I wasn't too worried that they couldn't fit me in until next Thursday.

Anyway, I got a couple of slightly clonky up change changes on the way home from work with the gearbox in D, so I tried a few shifts up and down with the paddles (whilst still in D). It's not blipping the throttle when you change down and doesn't seem to be matching the revs very well when you change up.

I tried driving along at a steady 50 mph in 5th and then clicking down on the paddle - the revs drop all the way to idle and then it engages 4th!

I've not got VAGCOM, but I've got a couple of gadgets that will read DTCs. They both show a single fault code - P0473, which according to Google is to be 'Exhaust Pressure Sensor High'.

I'm now a bit confused - either I have the wrong description for the fault code, two different problems or they are somehow related!

Has anyone had similar problems or know what might be wrong? I'm a little worried now that I've got some kind of fault with the dreaded mechatronics unit rather than just a dodgy sensor:(

Cheers,

Rob.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 24, 2014]

3. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

[Oct 26, 2011]
    Hi and welcome
    The only thing i would say if for what ever reason the engine is not running as smooth as poss then the DSG changes always suffer. I recently had a dodgy spark plug Only really faulted under certain conditions but boy did the DSG changes smooth out when i changed it. I wouldnt worry to much about the DSG until you fix the engine issue.
  4. mike foster

mike foster Fossie VCDS Map User

[Oct 26, 2011]
    Presumably you have a warranty with the car so take it straight back and ask them to sort the problem.

Don't worry, it's their problem, not yours !!!
  5. ashaudia3

ashaudia3 Member

[Oct 26, 2011]
    Hi mate ive got same car but on 56 plate. its a common fault with exhaust pressure sensors. mine touch wood hasnt done it but i have had dpf sensor go, its more than likely, its giving false readings which is telling the ecu do a regen so to send more fuel through ect and hold onto revs longer hence making gear changes not nice and smooth. where are u based i have vcds and would be able to tell you more, im based in manchester. the car is a totally diff drive when its trying to clear itself. are the revs by anychance idling occastional at 1k.. hope u get it sorted :)
  6. Rob_A3

Rob_A3 New Member

[Oct 27, 2011]
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies and reassurance - it sounds as though there's a good chance the EML and the strange gear changes are linked.

It's an Audi 'approved used' car - I've got a full Audi warranty for a year with it, so there shouldn't be any issue with them fixing it. I was just a bit worried about the DSG behaving strangely - from some of the threads I've read it seems that problems in that area aren't always easy to resolve!

It's going in next Thursday, so fingers-crossed it'll be a straightforward job.

Cheers,

Rob.
  7. Rob_A3

Rob_A3 New Member

[Nov 25, 2011]
    Hi,

Just a quick update to this thread:-

The engine management light was indeed due to a faulty G450 exhaust presssure sensor, but there was also a problem with the mechatronics unit. Both were rectified under warranty - the sensor was done straightaway and the gearbox as soon as Audi Approved had signed off the authorisation.

It's been my first experience of Audi customer service, and I'm pleased to say it's been good one - and it's not even the same chain/franchise that I bought the car from.

The DSG is now almost perfect - smooth crisp gear changes and none of the previous jerkiness from standstill. I say almost, because I got halfway home and realised the paddles don't work in D now!

The paddles are fine in manual mode (as is +/- on the gearstick) so am I correct it thinking that they have just forgotten to configure something in the eletronics?

I'll obviously being going in Monday to get it sorted out, but I was hoping someone might be able to put my mind at rest for over the weekend!

Cheers,

Rob.
  8. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

[Nov 25, 2011]
    Sounds like a switch problem, nothing else.

there was a guy on here in the last week with the same thing but cant find his post now...
  9. Rob_A3

Rob_A3 New Member

[Nov 29, 2011]
    I went back to the dealer yesterday and they sorted it out straightaway whilst I waited. It only took a few minutes to get my paddles working in D again - they said something was wrong with the coding.

My DSG now seems to be working exactly as Audi intended. Happy days!