1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Just Cut Out. Please Help?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Ronniebiggs, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Ronniebiggs

Ronniebiggs Member

[Sep 5, 2009]
    I was travelling along the road and my engine just cut out and when I tried to restart it. The car would turn over but wouldnt even attenpt to fire?

I thought it may have been the auxiallary air pump and so went to take it out as I could smell a burning wire smell from under the bonnet.

The only sign of a fault was the engine EPC light came on. When I took the engine covers off I noticed that one of the coil packs had a crack in the top and some black burnt mark and it stunk of the burning smell I mentioned. So I changed the coil pack and left the battery off for about 15 mins to try and reset the ECU. When I went to restart the car. Nothing had changed.

Any help Im sick. Would the car have blown a fuse somewhere if the coil pack had shorted out? I have had 2 packs go previously and normally the car only goes onto 3 pots and still runs.

Please help

Andy
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 2, 2014]

3. Ronniebiggs

Ronniebiggs Member

[Sep 5, 2009]
    Sorted it. It was a blown fuse
  4. Nutkin

Nutkin Member

[Sep 5, 2009]
    anyone else expect someone had bought a car with a cardboard cut out of an engine in it :D
  5. markyzs180

markyzs180 Member

[Sep 5, 2009]
    lol....had to read it three times before i got it!!

glad its sorted ronnieb, for reference though could you post which fuse had blown? might help someone else in the future :thumbsup:
  6. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 5, 2009]
    Lol, it took me about 5 goes! At first i was like WTF? Then the penny dropped :lmfao:
  7. Ronniebiggs

Ronniebiggs Member

[Sep 5, 2009]
    It was fuse number 29 I believe. It was listed on the fuse box as engine management.

Could have cost me a fortune that small thing!!
  8. CMD

CMD Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

[Sep 6, 2009]
    With regards to the fuse's in our car's i had problem a few week's ago ,
    i was unable to lock the passenger door and the rear door's also the driver's window only would close 3/4's of the way .Turned out to be a 15amp fuse number 24 . I replaced the fuse and bang the fuse blew within 2 day's .So i replaced the fuse with a 20amp all good , fingers crossed ..
  9. BILKO1

BILKO1 Member

[Sep 6, 2009]
    Not being funny mate but if the fuse was/is supposed to be 15amp i wouldn't put a higher rated one in, you are asking for trouble. I suppose at least you might find the fault when you see the smoke:)