1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Just Cut Out. Please Help?

Ronniebiggs Sep 5, 2009

1. Ronniebiggs

Ronniebiggs Member

I was travelling along the road and my engine just cut out and when I tried to restart it. The car would turn over but wouldnt even attenpt to fire?

I thought it may have been the auxiallary air pump and so went to take it out as I could smell a burning wire smell from under the bonnet.

The only sign of a fault was the engine EPC light came on. When I took the engine covers off I noticed that one of the coil packs had a crack in the top and some black burnt mark and it stunk of the burning smell I mentioned. So I changed the coil pack and left the battery off for about 15 mins to try and reset the ECU. When I went to restart the car. Nothing had changed.

Any help Im sick. Would the car have blown a fuse somewhere if the coil pack had shorted out? I have had 2 packs go previously and normally the car only goes onto 3 pots and still runs.

Please help

Andy

2. Ronniebiggs

Ronniebiggs Member

Sorted it. It was a blown fuse

3. Nutkin

Nutkin Member

anyone else expect someone had bought a car with a cardboard cut out of an engine in it :D

4. markyzs180

markyzs180 Member

lol....had to read it three times before i got it!!

glad its sorted ronnieb, for reference though could you post which fuse had blown? might help someone else in the future :thumbsup:

5. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Lol, it took me about 5 goes! At first i was like WTF? Then the penny dropped :lmfao:

6. Ronniebiggs

Ronniebiggs Member

It was fuse number 29 I believe. It was listed on the fuse box as engine management.

Could have cost me a fortune that small thing!!

7. CMD

CMD Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

With regards to the fuse's in our car's i had problem a few week's ago ,
    i was unable to lock the passenger door and the rear door's also the driver's window only would close 3/4's of the way .Turned out to be a 15amp fuse number 24 . I replaced the fuse and bang the fuse blew within 2 day's .So i replaced the fuse with a 20amp all good , fingers crossed ..

8. BILKO1

BILKO1 Member

Not being funny mate but if the fuse was/is supposed to be 15amp i wouldn't put a higher rated one in, you are asking for trouble. I suppose at least you might find the fault when you see the smoke:)