Engine juddering with ESP lighting up and engine light flashing

Quarz

Reaction score
Hey Guys.

Hopefully there is some very clever people out there:anbet:

I have an Audi A3 '06 1.6 which has done 114K KM.

When the car is at a standstill, the car shakes and the ESP lights up and the engine lights "flashes". When I start driving, the engine light stops flashing, but the ESP stays on untill the engine is shut down.

When the engine is turned back on, everything seems ok, untill a longer standstill, then it repeats itself.

If i kill the climate control, the problem does not occur.

Just bought a Audi A3 8V 1.8 TFSI Sportback, so hopefully this is not an "expensive" problem....

All with advice will get a free cookie and a virtuel hug.

//Quarz

Best to get it scanned with VCDS,have a look at the vcds users section map to see who is near that could help you.
(Click on the blue balloons)

Hey Guys.

Hopefully there is some very clever people out there:anbet:

I have an Audi A3 '06 1.6 which has done 114K KM.

When the car is at a standstill, the car shakes and the ESP lights up and the engine lights "flashes". When I start driving, the engine light stops flashing, but the ESP stays on untill the engine is shut down.

When the engine is turned back on, everything seems ok, untill a longer standstill, then it repeats itself.

If i kill the climate control, the problem does not occur.

Just bought a Audi A3 8V 1.8 TFSI Sportback, so hopefully this is not an "expensive" problem....

All with advice will get a free cookie and a virtuel hug.

//Quarz

i have an '05 1.6 A3 I had the same juddering it turned out that the coil packs where past there best
my engine light also started flashing when acceleration due to them being faulty.

Not sure why ESP lights up unless there is a fault with you ABS mate

i have an '05 1.6 A3 I had the same juddering it turned out that the coil packs where past there best
my engine light also started flashing when acceleration due to them being faulty.

Not sure why ESP lights up unless there is a fault with you ABS mate

What did it set you back for the coils, and did you fix it yourself.

Does it only happen when you have your ac compressor on and not when your climate controll is running as that makes me think its you compressor if it doesn't happen with econ selected.

Different symptoms but may explain ESP light.
On 8P3 S3 my ESP and EML came on when there was a problem with the throttle sensor.
ESP gets info from engine management system and if its not quite right will throw up ESP warning lamp as well as EML.
Car was in limp mode with erratic idle too.

Contact cleaner and a spot of conductive grease on the offending plugs then vcds reset sorted me out.
As advised best to get it scanned before worrying too much.

Does it only happen when you have your ac compressor on and not when your climate controll is running as that makes me think its you compressor if it doesn't happen with econ selected.

happens with econ on aswell:(

Thx for all the feedback so far

Yea mate fixed them myself if I remember right they where about £30 - £35 each from audi. I got mine from a car motor factors at £25 each for bosh ones.

I also changed the spark plugs at the same time and never had a problem with juddering after that.

I'm having the same issue on my a3 1.6 2008 did you ever get the problem sorted?