1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine 'judder' / hesitate on acceleration. help!

Discussion in 'Classic Audi Forum' started by sc_001, Jul 29, 2010.

1. sc_001

sc_001 New Member

[Jul 29, 2010]
    Hello, I have a 1994 audi 80 sport, engine code ABK. & I have this problem.

The engine hesitates/judders on acceleration, at high revs it has no power, at low revs it judders & hesitates intermtantly. It feels like a diesel vehicle in the winter when the fuel 'jelly's-up'.

I recently changed the engine & that is when the fault started, so I'm pretty sure that its electrical. my new engine is exactly the same (ABK) but is from an L reg audi 100, my car is an M.

I kept the injection manifold & airbox to comply with my cars wiring & plumbing.

I have changed the temp* sensors & MAF sensor, the temp* guage does'nt work but it never did.

The 'cat' rattles so does anyone know if a damaged catalyst would cause this problem.

I am fairly certain that it is electrical becouse sometimes its fine.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. Blackie_No1

Blackie_No1 New Member

[Aug 3, 2010]
    Im not too hot on the SPORT models, but do they have a dizzy? if so have you checked the cap and rotor arm? Have you checked the Hall effect module?
  4. sc_001

sc_001 New Member

[Aug 4, 2010]
    No idea what the hall effect module is, but I'll soon find out. It has a new distributer cap & leads. Thanks for your response.
  5. Blackie_No1

Blackie_No1 New Member

[Aug 4, 2010]
    the hall effect module is a little box at the side of the distributor, or atthe other end of the wiring loom from the distributor
  6. sc_001

sc_001 New Member

[Aug 12, 2010]
    Thanks for that but the hall effect module is on the car & it was working fine with the old engine so its not the problem. I'm decating, changing the exaust boxed (they all rattle) & leaving the lambda probe disconnected. I suspect that the old leaky & rattle exaust may be confusing it, & if it is'nt it needed doing anyway.
  7. sc_001

sc_001 New Member

[Aug 29, 2010]
    Proplems sorted!

I snipped the lambda probe wires, took off the cat & dug all the stuff out of it, & put it back on.

I guess it was the lambda sensor all along.
  8. elijah

elijah New Member

[Sep 21, 2010]
    It is also my first time hearing this "Hall Effect Module" but now I know what it is. My friend was asking me about this hall effect module because his car had a problem and his neighbor said that it is probably something to do with the hall effect module but I also don't know that time when my friend ask me. Now, I can tell him what and where it is. Thanks for sharing the info.