1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine idle speed

Discussion in 'VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum' started by clcollins, Aug 2, 2006.

1. clcollins

clcollins Member

[Aug 2, 2006]
    Hi, since having my car (1.9TDI Sport Quattro) serviced the idle speed seems too high, so my questions are (1) where can I find the recommended engine idle speed, and (2) can I adjust it via Vag-Com, and if so how?

……..and for those of you who are wondering why I don’t take it back to the company that serviced it……I can’t be bothered, I don’t know why I keep taking my car there, it’s never come back fault free and always means a return trip!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 23, 2014]

3. Beerzo

Beerzo Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

[Aug 2, 2006]
    I am sure that you an reduced it yes.

if you check the ross-tech website, there will prob be something on there that will let you know.
  4. bearthebruce

bearthebruce Ross-Tech, LLC

[Aug 3, 2006]
  5. clcollins

clcollins Member

[Aug 7, 2006]
    Hi Bruce, thanks for that, gives me a very good idea of how to proceed. My car is a 2002 A3 1.9TDI Sport Quattro, does any of the linked web page differ greatly for my car? I would assume that it does with it being diesel, not sure though. I have gone back a page or two from your link to see what listings there are for VAG cars, am I correct in assuming that for the Audi A3 I need to follow the VW Golf MK IV listing? Thanks for your help.
  6. Sebastian

Sebastian Member

[Aug 7, 2006]
    Usually the idle speed can be adjusted, but this depends on the specific case and we don't know that much about your car yet. A 2002 A3 1.9l TDI should be an EDC15, which means the idle speed should be adjusted via engine adaptation channel 02. As said this should work, but it depends on the specific case and if the manufacturer enabled or blocked the adjustment possibility.

Personally I would not suggest to change the idle speed since this would only change the symptoms not the actual problem. You asked in the VAG-COM forum, so I assume you do have a VAG-COM system and you are able to post an Auto-Scan from your car. That way we are able to check some stuff on the ECU (e.g. firmware version).
  7. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Aug 7, 2006]
    sebastian makes sense. You need to see if there is any trim being added to make the idle too high, or check to see if the injectors are trying to compensate for what it thinks is a lean running situation first.

it could just as easily be either a vacuum leak or a duff coolant sensor to name two things.