1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine hoses

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by PlebbyChris, Jan 26, 2007.

1. PlebbyChris

PlebbyChris Complete Pleb

Bloody brittle engine hoses.

I have literally just opened the bonnet to find the cylinder head breather hose has split clean in half, allowing oil vapours to get everywhere. Then trying to tape it up (thank god for electrical tape, never leave home without it!) to get home it has split in 3 more places. As the AudiWorld technical reference page says......... 'incredibly brittle ..... think eggshells'.

Was just thinking that rather than pay £40 or so for another audi hose that will end up just as fragile, does anyone know where I can get a full hose kit? Plus the standard black hose looks like pants cable conduit. I've order a basic silicone hose to replace the shagged one for now but sooner or later, all sections of the same hose are going to fail.

:scared2:
  2. enda1

enda1 Member

Silicone has the best temperature resistance of all rubbers (approx 200C) and has moderate oil resistance so this should do the job.
    Nitrile rubber has the best oil resistance but only goes upto about (110C) so if the temp isn't to excessive that would last the longest. If you want to order it then try this industrial supplier in the US. http://www.mcmaster.com/
    Our company buy alot of our stuff from them as they are cheap, everything is in stock and they have guarenteed 48hr delivery
  3. AJO

AJO Member

is this on a V6 engine?

mine has done the same... every time i touch it, it breaks up

i replaced mine for a bit of hose pipe as a temp job.. that was 3 months ago though! lol
  4. PlebbyChris

Same here, mine has now become a permanent-temporary repair until I get the right hose. It's a mixture of self-amalgamating tape to hold it together complete with aluminium tape over the top to hold the heat.

Silicone seems like the best bet plus it'll look better than the **** they put on as standard (that looks like electrical conduit).

Cheers for the replies
  5. PlebbyChris

The hose has now been ordered from www.mcmaster.com and is now on the way. Hopefully it'll fit, if not I'll be needing some more tape.

I'll try and get some pics once I've finished the job.

Thanks again
  6. PlebbyChris

Www.mcmaster.com have just told me that they cannot send out to individuals outside of the US due to complex Export Regulations. Would you happen to know if there are any companies in the UK that sell the same stock?
  7. enda1

enda1 Member

Sorry Chris I don't know any suppliers by name but there are plenty of manufacturers out there on the net. Make sure you stay away from anything labelled as "foodgrade or medical grade" as they charge a fortune for these.
    as a last resort go to your local plant hire and find out who supplies their hydraulic hoses. This supplier may be able to source the tubing for you.

Chris.
    I've heard that McMaster are only selling outside the US to existing customers or via credit card orders only
    Do you know anyone who has a company. If they set up an account then you can buy the stuff in the companys name but can use you own credit card for the transaction, thats what I do when I want to buy stuff for myself and it arrives at work. Usually I then get away with the import duty as its deemed "industrial supplies". this works for me in Ireland not sure about the UK though
  8. PlebbyChris

Good plan! I'll put it in my brother's company name.

Cheers for all the help, hopefully I'll be able to get it sorted now and will be able to get the fuel consumption down a bit.
  9. PlebbyChris

Unfortunately, the only real correct sized hose for the engine www.mcmaster.com had wasn't really suitable for use with oils and they advised against it. Instead, I've found a company in the UK who are willing to make some silicone hose to my specs but it has to be minimum order of 10m. Once I make sure it fits perfect, if anyone is interested in buying some off me then let me know.

Chris
  10. PlebbyChris

Hey people

For those who are suffering the joys of brittle oil breather hoses, I have a solution. I have just received an order of some custom silicone hosing 17mm ID and 23mm OD oil resistant and temperature resistant. I have replaced my hoses:

[​IMG]

It required a very small cut in one of the covers for a flush fit but gives a perfect look. I've used hose clips at each end, but I think cable ties would probably work just as well.

[​IMG]

As you can see from the above picture, I wouldn't expect to be able to use your old hoses again once you've removed them, they literally fall to bits in your hands.

I have about 8 metres of this hose left that I'll be looking to sell on. It's £20 a metre, which should be long enough to at least cover the long hose run. If anyone is interested then I have paypal (which will guarantee to protect your purchase) and I can send it on (add £2 per metre for postage in UK). Alternatively, if anyone is around the Gatwick area then let me know and a pick-up could be arranged.