1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine fans

Discussion in 'General Technical / How To' started by hilly123, Dec 7, 2007.

1. hilly123

hilly123 New Member

[Dec 7, 2007]
    hi can anyone tell me why my engine fans start up when i first start my car from cold they go on for about 2mins. and lately the car is having trouble starting. its a a4 sport auto 2002. the engine managerment light as come on i get it reset after replacing a pipe whitch had air coming out of it but it go`s off for afew days then back on again. ive been told it may be a coolant sensor but havn`t a clue were to locate it. any help would be much appersheate before i go to a audi dealer and pay over the odd.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. a4cam

a4cam New Member

[Dec 14, 2007]
    The coolant temp sensor that controls your fans will be in one of the bottom corners of your rad . The fan also is used for your air conditioning , if you turn your a/c off while the fan is running , it should shut it off (assuming your engine is cold otherwise it could be the switched on to cool your engine), if not you have other issues .
  4. audi-tech

audi-tech New Member

[Dec 19, 2007]
    sound like it may be a coolant temp sensor.. Its normally a green sensor located on the cooland flange on the back of the engine. (depending what engine is fittted). Or could be an air lock in the coolant system!
    Adam