Engine Damage

Robbo87

Reaction score
My first piece of advice here is don't drive from Manchester to mid Wales without checking your fluid levels!

Through a combination of mechanical error (no low oil warning) and me beign a F..king idiot my car did a fair old stint on the motorway with just a drop of oil! End of it being she sounds like a bag of hammers in a tumble drier : / My mechanic has stripped the top half of the engine and cant find anything wrong, which means its a case of engine out and stripped completely before i can even tell if its fixable :/

Ive spent about 2k in the last two years (clutch, steering rack, relentless downpipe and sports cat, cat back, sump, full front suss set up) and id like to get as much of that back as possible!

I was wandering what you guys reckon is the best course of action now? im too skint to put a new engine in it just to sell the thing because ive just been forced to "splash out" on a mondeo and insurance and tax cause i need a car for work! Do i break it? or do i try to sell it without engine? any other idea's? Do scrap yards tajke into account its an s3 and not an austin metro or will i just get a couple hundred quid for it??

Sorry forgot to mention its a 1999 S3 Pre facelift, dark blue, about 130k, sadly missed!

Scrap yards will give you weight value! They don't care if it's a Viper, a Veyron or an S3.

Personally, i'd stick a cheapy engine in it yourself then sell it or keep it! Don't pay a garage to do it of you are even vaguley mechanically minded!

Rebuild! Rods, and you'll be fine! I would do mine myself but I have no room to do it! If you have the room and time then do it yourself!