Engine Cover Done....pics

A3Tom

Smell my finger.
Reaction score
Well, its finally done to the point where it'll do for me.

Took an age, I'm still not happy with the finish but it'll do!. Looks better than before so that'll do me. Anyway, onto the pics....

3774458569_6ef08f9c92_b.jpg

3775260002_4bcd045868_b.jpg

3775258172_4c20ec1ff7_b.jpg

There we have it....bit nicer looking than how it was before anyway...

3295331252_47b8cecd39_b.jpg

Tom

Looks pretty cool Tom. I've been thinking about doing mine for ages but though about the carbon look? I've also got the other two covers as well and I'm worried about it chipping/peeling off.

Well Forge make a nice carbon engine cover but I cant justify £100 on one.

I was worried about the paint peeling off mine too, although as long as you use the right primer and do all your prep properly it should be alright.

T

that looks excellent such an improvement, :thumbsup:

im currently doing bits to my engine bay at the mo should be finished tomorrow afternon will post pics up once done

Tom such a good improvement! You happy with the finish? May have to do my cover at some point.

Yeah I'm happy enough with it, if I wasnt using rattle cans the finish would be a lot better. Before the final coats of clear it was glass smooth...but as usual rattle cans let down the finish!.

If I can be ***** I'll go over it with 2000 grit and mop it....but to be honest it'll do!. The grain in the OEM plastic is a bit of a pain to get rid of though.

T

WOW, looks great, how did you do the silver and red?

If you want a second go at another one ..........:whistle2:

WOW, looks great, how did you do the silver and red?

If you want a second go at another one ..........:whistle2:

Yeah, i would pay for this to be done on my car, (Im to lazy to try and do it myself) so if you need some spare cash let me know :o.k:

Cheers guys!.

Sadly though, one is enough for me!!. It took a long time, a very long time!. Loads of sanding and priming...then some more sanding.

Once I got it all nice and smooth I put about 6 coats of gloss black on and then flatted it back. Once it was flatted I used enamel paint's and painted the rings and writing with small brushes. That was a nightmare as it didnt dry very smooth so I then had to flat the enamel paint down and keep building up layers so it was smooth and well covered. Then it had about 4 coats of clear over the top.....flatting in between coats. The paints used for the red and silver are just enamel paints you can buy in Homebase. I wanted to keep it OEM looking so kept it simple, didnt fancy painting it any other colours as I wanted it to look 'factory'.

Over all I'd say its taken about 8 hours to do in total?. Gave me something to do being as the weathers been so pants this week!!.

Tom

nice. btw I used some PTFE spray (muc-off bikespray in fact) on my covers and they came up as new :whistle2:

looking good Tom!

I think my bonnet will stay welded shut at audis in the park! I cant find the time to make my engine bay that clean.

that looks nice there tom. good work. engine bay looks spot on.

Dude, that looks wicked man!!!

Such an improvement and looks OEM at the same time.

Well done :)

Looks really good Tom.

I wasn't sure about the detailing to begin with when you posted the earlier pics of it - especially after seeing the finish that ROLTY got using a single colour - but now I've seen it fitted I think it looks lurvley.

Well done :applaus:

Cheers, I like it.....freshened things up a bit anyway!.

This looks very nice! Cant see anything wrong with it, you should be proud! :thumbsup:

Must say it very smart and lifts the whole bay for me, will be doing this mod my self at some stage, Wat sandpaper did you use to get rid of grain on cover??