Engine Carbon Clean

norad97

Reaction score
Hi, anyone had this done on there car yet,??

or thought on this cleaning process.

Its not really relevant to older engines with port injection.

Direct Injection engines (FSI stuff amongst others) have a problem with carbon build up on the inlet valves, and thats what the cleaning is supposed to tackle.

Port injected engines, such as the 1.8T, spray fuel directly at the back of the inlet valves, and that fuel washes the valves clean, so no buildup occurs!

Reactions: Retroman
Its not really relevant to older engines with port injection.

Direct Injection engines (FSI stuff amongst others) have a problem with carbon build up on the inlet valves, and thats what the cleaning is supposed to tackle.

Port injected engines, such as the 1.8T, spray fuel directly at the back of the inlet valves, and that fuel washes the valves clean, so no buildup occurs!

Good point, main dealers used to sneer at fuel additives designed to clean up carbon etc. Even BMW Mini showrooms now have large displays of their own (with a part number) tins of petrol and diesel engine cleaners to add to the fuel. Do Audi offer similar? I haven't seen any in their showrooms.

Mine is being booked in early next year. My05 tdi with 86,000 miles. For £80 it can't hurt.

This is a good little Jason Plato video about improving some basic items and getting results

Stuff added to the fuel basically doesnt work at all, for the exact same reason the problem exists in the first place. The fuel is directly injected into the cylinder, instead of being sprayed onto the valves.

The folk selling it will probably try to claim it does work, but clearly its impossible.

The most effective thing for the models effected, is to remove the inlet manifold, and mechanically clean the ports using something like walnut blasting, which is a shot-blasting type process using walnut shells.

We have a carbon blasting kit at our work for the THP EP6T found in the DS3R, DS4, 208 GTI and is also used in the mini cooper S.

Its actually a decent bit of kit but doesnt half make a mess off the enginge bay its like the forensic team have had there mitts over it by the time its done.

Its for like aragorn said direct port injection were the fuel isnt flowing over the valves like a normal petrol injection. My 1.8T head was quite badly sooted and the inlet had carbon build up at 189k, again its just another advertisement gimic to earn some cash if you want to clean it by all means go ahead but i wouldnt be expecting a major end result improvement.

One method to reduce this issue is by having water methanol injection installed as this will help in the aid of cleaning the intake valves and stop the build up of carbon deposits.