1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enable RNS-E

Discussion in 'VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum' started by fizz, Jan 1, 2009.

1. fizz

fizz Member

[Jan 1, 2009]
    Hi guys

I’m looking at installing an RNS-E I bought from a forum member to replace the symphony with external cd changer (glove box) currently installed in my A3 sportback. When I bought the RNS-E I was told that it had already been coded for MFSW, Bluetooth phone prep and Bose, however the car I’ve bought doesn’t have BOSE. I've managed to work out how to move the Bose pin back to where it originally was with the help of this forum but I need to know if I will have to get the thing coded again to my car and if so, can this be done with VAGCOM 409 or will I need the full version. Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 28, 2014]

3. VRStu

VRStu Just Looking VCDS Map User

[Jan 1, 2009]
    The later A3, which I'm assuming yours is, requires a CAN capable cable. 409 and I guess the eBay lead you have is not suitable.
  4. fizz

fizz Member

[Jan 1, 2009]
    Thnx for your reply, not got any cable yet, just wanted to know if the cheap ones would work just to code the stereo and possibly cruise control later on so dont really want to spend £250 unless I really have to.
  5. VRStu

[Jan 1, 2009]
    Yeah it can be a bitter pill to swallow when you buy a cable but it is an excellent tool and if you have a car which is out of warranty almost invaluable - you'll recoup your money back first time you have a problem.

Generally if you can post up a scan somone can point you in the right direction.

In a more diverse example I've coded somones car via MSN/Remote Desktop as they had a cable but weren't sure on what to do.
  6. fizz

fizz Member

[Jan 1, 2009]
    Sounds good, the RDP coding is an excellent idea lol. I heard http://www.mi-uk.com/ are the cheapest biut cant seem to find anywhere to buy on their website. You dont happen to know anyone seeling a cable do you?
  7. VRStu

[Jan 1, 2009]
  8. pns2007

pns2007 Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 3, 2009]
    Fizz, I have just bought one from Gendan for £193. Its the micro can and was posted next day delivery.

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCMC.html

it can only be used on cars based on the golf mkv chasis but hopefully I wont be owning a car older than the one I already have.

I've seen vag com in action and it appears straight forward enough but I know I will probably need the help of the professionals like VRStu and others one day soon.

Thats what makes this forum and hopefully I will be able to help other members out in the future
  9. fizz

fizz Member

[Jan 4, 2009]
    Thnx for the reply PNS mate, that sounds good, im in the same position and prob wont be owning anything older too. Just gona think on this one as another £37 means you have the older car support just incase.
  10. 1wheelonly

1wheelonly cabriolet VCDS Map User

[Jan 4, 2009]
    youll be suprised how many people you will help out if you get the cable to do all.
    i bought mine to do all and have helped out alot of people already including several on here, every single person gave me a drink ( which wasnt expected or asked for)
    but what im saying is if a couple of people you help out give you a drink then the extra £37 soon gets recovered and you get alot more use and understanding from it.
  11. fizz

fizz Member

[Jan 5, 2009]
  12. fizz

fizz Member

[Jan 6, 2009]
    Received the cable today - came in a nice little hard case and full printed manual (like the pro version off ross-techs site)