1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

emulsified oil on filler cap

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by jordychris, Apr 19, 2008.

1. jordychris

jordychris Member

[Apr 19, 2008]
    Checked oil today needed top up took off filler cap and it was covered in a white/green slime what can cause this on a 56 plate 2.0 tfsi with 6500 miles on the clock the car was serviced in dec with 5000 miles on
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Apr 19, 2008]
    seems to be fairly normal, plenty of us had the same. My car was serviced 2000 miles ago and I still see traces of it after a short journey. Some say if you take it out for a good rag it clears it, but mine seems pretty consistent
  4. jordychris

jordychris Member

[Apr 19, 2008]
    So nothing to worry about do you keep a check on it and clean the cap every month or so. I only drive approx 12 miles per day is short journeys the cause
  5. markwiggy

markwiggy Third Gear

[Apr 19, 2008]
    Short runs were the engine doesn't warm up properly are the probable cause, give the car a good hard run, as mentioned and it should get rid of the problem.

Mark
  6. Laney456

Laney456 New Member

[Apr 19, 2008]
    As the posts above if you do allot of short journeys you get condensation in the cylinder head because the engine doesnt get to a high enough temperature to burn this condensation off and it collects as emulsified oil in the cap.
    In the worst case it can potentially be a failed head gasket...but you would see emulsified oil in the sump..so check your dip stick, check coolant levels and if all is OK then just take it out for a good old blast. Also just make sure you service the car regularily and change the oil in-between services if neccessary.

Cheers,
  7. jordychris

jordychris Member

[Apr 20, 2008]
    Cleaned oil cap and went on a 30 mile blast along the A68.On returning left car to cool then checked again only small amount of deposits on the cap so hopefully just condensation , will have to get out and give a good blast once a week to keep it clean. thanks
  8. ADEY

ADEY Member

[Apr 20, 2008]
    Thats what i was always told
  9. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Apr 20, 2008]
    Correct me if I'm wrong but surely if there is condensation on the inside of an engine then there must be water in the engine!

My mate picked up a brand new golf gti and had water in the engine. I don't know how it got there or how he knew but I know it was sorted under warranty.