Emmision Control System!!

irfan.khalifa

Reaction score
Hello Guys!

I'm new to this forum and also a new owner of a 2006 Audi A3 2.0 170 TDI Quattro - so please forgive me for my stupidity :tapedshut:

I've got an issue with the Emission control light coming on, its been on for about a week now and there's no difference in performance, however the car does seem to have fairly high consumption (Topping up £60/week). I've read through a few threads and they all say the same thing - get a VAGCOM done. Is there anyone close by that would be willing to help me out??

I thought maybe it was something to do with the DPF (this warning has come on a few times now) but this warning goes away after a 20min drive down the A46.

Thanks in advance guys!

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a dpf regen being done based on your post, ideally you should get someone with vcds to check levels & then force regen or take for a nice spirited but safe drive on the motorway or dual carriageway for an hour.

Thanks for the reply dude! :salute:

I've been up and down the motorway a few times and this sorts the DPF out. I had the emission light come on with the DPF a few weeks ago - took the car for a spin and the DPF light went off and then a day later the Emission light.

This time the Emission light just stays on and the DPF will come on and go away after a little cruise.

Anyone with VCDS, willing to help me out?? :sos:

I'm REALLY worried now - took the car for a drive on the motorway - doing about 60mph to force a regen and the glow plug light came on and the car went into limp mode!!

Going to take the car in to get it diagnosed, fingers crossed this is not going to be expensive to fix.

Anyone shed any light on this??

Just checked your profile, go in the vcds users map and look around your area. Couple of beer tokens usually do the trick for their service

Had the same problem went into limp mode and will stay like that till you either force regen it like nhn says or you do what I did and have it removed and remapped. Works like a dream and the best ever mod I have done. Specially if you only do town driving like I do the dpf can get a right pain in the ****. Plus I get better mpg and a quicker car.

Also worse case with having the regen done it could still not work due to it being too full and a new dpf is required and that's £2000. This is what happened to me so a remap and removal was £500 so that was my choice each to there own tho.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm planning on getting the DPF removed but can't afford it just yet so I'm hoping the force regen works!

plymouthaudi - where did you get the remap and DPF removal done? £500 seems a good price. I've been told it will cost me about £650

Thanks again guys!

There is a company in Plymouth where I live. It was a Longlife exhaust franchise but they went on there own I can't remember the name they are now, they fabricate exhaust etc and use angel tuning packages for there remaps. I had it done about 18months ago and still going lovely. I will try and find out what they are called if your interested.

Get the car checked on VCDS, soda law says the DPF sensor has failed & needs replacing.

Have a look at your sensor (located at the back left of the engine above the DPF - has 2 pipes & an electrical connection on it), if it says 'Made in USA' its almost certainly your problem.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm planning on getting the DPF removed but can't afford it just yet so I'm hoping the force regen works!

plymouthaudi - where did you get the remap and DPF removal done? £500 seems a good price. I've been told it will cost me about £650

Thanks again guys!

If u in Leicester i suggest u got to nic from tuned n styled. tunednstyled.co.uk/. It will cost £399.

Hes done my car and can sort out any sensor issues u have, i had exhaust sensor go and he replaced it for free with remap and dpf removal and egr disable

Well, got the car checked and the mechanic said its most likely the DPF. He gave me some Forte to put in the car and took it for a long drive but this didn't work! :crying:

Spoke to the mechanic again and he said its probably the DPF sensor but it would be better to have the DPF removed.

So got on the phone and now I've got the car booked in with Rick at Unicorn Motors to remove the DPF and EGR Valves and get the engine remapped :yahoo:

Hopefully this should be the end of all the issues and warning lights!! - I'll keep you guys posted

Time for an update - DPF and EGR removed and engine remapped! I have to say Rick was great and very helpful. All warning lights and limp mode all gone and the car seems to drive a lot better.

Only problem i have now is the clutch slips in the higher gears if i floor it - I need to change the clutch but don't know whether to go for the OEM one or an uprated one!

Thanks for all you help guys :anbet: