Emergency Brake Flash

Silky-S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been playing round with vagcom lately and I’ve noticed the emergency brake flash option (In Central Electrics if I remember correctly) which I’ve now enabled. I think this is meant to flash the hazard warning lights when doing an emergency stop. I’ve been out to try and done some full-on braking action (from up to 110mph!) and nothing seems to flash!?

Has anyone got this working, or have any info on it? Doing a search on the net finds a few posts on VAGOC.com (from MarcQ) and a few on a US forum talking about the 3rd (High level) brake light flashing and not the hazards?

Anyone? As I think this would be a useful feature on motorways etc.

Thanks
Matt

seen a volvo with this on when he nearly ran into someone. quite good really.

I'm not sure but someone on Ebay is selling flasher units for your 3rd brake light, looking at MY10 specs, its fitted as standard on them.

I’ve been out to try and done some full-on braking action (from up to 110mph!) and nothing seems to flash!?

Pretty thoroughly tested! :ohmy:

I think it is linked to Emergency Brake Assist - only when this is activated, so may have less to do with braking at speed but the intensity of braking (ie at slower speeds the braking force when brakes are applied suddenly in emergency stop will be applied more strongly than at higher speeds where car could go out of control with Brake Assist)

Hi guys,

Been playing round with vagcom lately and I’ve noticed the emergency brake flash option (In Central Electrics if I remember correctly) which I’ve now enabled. I think this is meant to flash the hazard warning lights when doing an emergency stop. I’ve been out to try and done some full-on braking action (from up to 110mph!) and nothing seems to flash!?

Has anyone got this working, or have any info on it? Doing a search on the net finds a few posts on VAGOC.com (from MarcQ) and a few on a US forum talking about the 3rd (High level) brake light flashing and not the hazards?

Anyone? As I think this would be a useful feature on motorways etc.

Thanks
Matt

If its the same as the BMW setup it will only start to flash when the ABS is activated.

As stated, the hazzards flash when you hit the brakes hard enough to activate brake assist. You'd be surprised how hard you have to hit the pedal to make it work. Don't press the pedal, stamp on it! Just make sure no one is behind you!

I also have done that (stamp on it) but nothing... Still searching...

Right, i've just been out again and proper stamped on it! Like with all my weight behind it and still nothing! I can feel the ABS ans Brake Assit working but no flashing lights. Well I cant see them flashing on the dash or hazard button.

I've done slow stops, fast stops, coming to a halt stops and nothing!

Any advice then?

Thanks
Matt

I asked this a while ago and I think it was Mitch that told me it wasn't just about breaking hard, it measured the time between coming off the accelerator and then how hard to hit the brakes. So if you're cruising along using some throttle and then carry out an emergency stop then it comes on.

I tried the same method as you but never went back out to test the above.

I'm not sure but someone on Ebay is selling flasher units for your 3rd brake light, looking at MY10 specs, its fitted as standard on them.

Where does this plug in and how does it work etc etc?