1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EM tuning ed light upgrade

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by nally, Nov 30, 2011.

1. t8ups

t8ups Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 18, 2012]
    muller,

the footwells do the lamp check so will flash a few times on start up. there is not fix as its the car that does the lamp check.

in regards to one been brighter, get your head under the footwell when they are lit and make sure all the led's are working.

Trups
  2. *Müllërz

*Müllërz REVOlutionary

[Jan 18, 2012]
    I thought so as the side mirrors do the same. My sidelights do the same on the leon...btw. When fitting the light in the seat I realised it did have sunvisor lights too. So will need some of them.pm me

The leds are working but will confirm tomorow, as its the same on both footwells, we think its the plastic housings atm
  3. t8ups

[Jan 19, 2012]
    Right,

so this is what you could do to get rid of the purple haze without paying out £8 per bulb holder.

this is what you could do

[​IMG]

a bit of double sided tape on the back of the board and it will stick nice.

Muller, my paypal is trups_27@hotmail.com

send me £6 and i will send you out the sunvisors, i will also put you a few small tabs of double sided tape in there for you if you want to put the bulb on the outside of the lamp.

thanks
    Trups
  4. nally

nally MPG the new BPH

[Jan 19, 2012]
    mine not purple i dont think ?
    evan if it is anyway better the weee colour yellow
  5. *Müllërz

*Müllërz REVOlutionary

[Jan 20, 2012]
    is there nothing that can be done about the footwell leds being brighter on 1 side?
    Will send you payement soon for the seat leon sunvisors
  6. t8ups

[Jan 21, 2012]
    you need to establish 1st why they are dimmer..

could it be the way they are fitted?
    are a few of the LED's not working?
    is there power issues?

if you can work that out then you will find out why..

i dont mind sending you a new bulb out to try muller to get the issue sorted but you need to see why 1st.

Trups
  7. *Müllërz

*Müllërz REVOlutionary

[Jan 31, 2012]
    Heres some pics
    Leds are fine..No power issues... Just the way they project
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. TheMacMagician

TheMacMagician Member

[Feb 1, 2012]
    Did you fellas ever get the LED Sides fitted and out of the headlight casing. I had the same thing happen to me last night when fitting T8ups LEDs. The toughest was the passenger side. Got the LED in fine but couldn't get it back in the housing properly so when I tried to pull it back out to realign, the LED fell in to the headlight caseing. Got some cellotape from my neighbour and stuck to a wire coat hanger. I then mistakenly pushed the led further underneath the actual dome, then to only realise that I'd actually pushed the LED out the back of the case. Just reached down slowly with my fingertips and plucked it out. Fitted it first time then, and the drivers side was a 2 minute job with there being more room to manouvre.

Hope you've got it sorted..... They look top when done.
  9. *Müllërz

*Müllërz REVOlutionary

[Feb 2, 2012]
    is there any alternative bulbs yet for the footwells trups?
  10. t8ups

[Feb 2, 2012]
    Nothing as bright as what you already got, only way to get rid of the haze is swapping the lamps over.
  11. *Müllërz

*Müllërz REVOlutionary

[Feb 3, 2012]
    Have you got any pics of these less powerful bulbs?
  12. *Müllërz

*Müllërz REVOlutionary

[Feb 7, 2012]
    A guess there is no solution for the light direction for these footwells leds then? I will put a link up if i find any alternative to trups footwell leds, which light up the footwell area evenly

If anyone has already tried to find some alternatives please post some links

Anybody want half light up footwell's?I am taking mine out soon
  13. t8ups

[Feb 7, 2012]
    sorry muller,

i have hellifella coming over tomo to me, i will try the less brighter ones in his and take some pictures to see how they are and you can see if they will be better for you.

Thanks
  14. *Müllërz

*Müllërz REVOlutionary

[Feb 7, 2012]
    topman...get some pics up fella please, also have you got any pics after adding the double sided tape?
  15. t8ups

[Feb 8, 2012]
    Hi Mullers,

never got a chance to do the dimmer bulbs for the footwell lamps but did do the bulb on the outside of the lamp.

Hellifella will post up pictures later tonight when he is home as he was over and i fitted his rear footwell lamps for him.

Thanks
  16. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Feb 8, 2012]
    Hi t8ups.

Sorry to bother you with more requests, but did you ever get a chance to look into the LED light for the overhead festoon with a light on either side of the board?

Reason I ask is I've angled mine up towards the ceiling as they were too bright, but as all the LED's are on one side of the board it means the festoon is only half lit.

More than happy to pay whatever it costs to get some in this configuration if they can be done.

Cheers mate, and no rush

Rgds

Warren
  17. *Müllërz

*Müllërz REVOlutionary

[Feb 8, 2012]
    Where are those lights placed warren?
  18. t8ups

[Feb 8, 2012]
    The dome lamps.
  19. Helifella

Helifella Flying low level

[Feb 8, 2012]
    Here are a ton of pics from todays install.

This first pic shows the LED upgrade fitted behind the OEM footwell lens as intended. However it clearly shows the quartz effect of the lens creating a purple hue.

[​IMG]
    Now the LED's have been stuck to the outside and the result is fantastic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now for Robin's rear footwell loom install - these lenses are slightly different and don't give the discolouration.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A quick shot of the puddle & red marker LED's
    [​IMG]
    Nightime shots taken with my iPhone4 (sorry) and other interior lights switched off.
    [​IMG]
    Rear & puddles at night
    [​IMG]
    front wells at night
    [​IMG]
    2nd Boot LED now fitted
    [​IMG]

I must just add with the front footwell LED's now on the face of the OEM lenses allows a far greater cast of light much improving the mod.

I have to say my whole dealings with Trups has been great and amusing to boot :)

****Forgot to mention that none of this was possible without the handy work of RobinA3 who made all the aditional looms up.****

Top Gents, the pair of you :icon_thumright:
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  20. *Müllërz

*Müllërz REVOlutionary

[Feb 9, 2012]
    Any pics with the other bulbs? for the footwell.They are brighter on one side in the pics like mine.
    Do you think a xenon bulb will give a less powerful but consistent amount of light in the footwell area?
  21. Helifella

[Feb 9, 2012]
    When you say brighter on one side do you mean how the light is cast in the footwell or you have differing brightness in one footwell than the other?

On mine they all give the same amount in each well. However because of the contour of the wheel arch that in itself gives the perception of it being brighter in that area.

So in answer to your question - a xenon will not give you the desired "consistent amount of light" that you are after as all lights will do this as the arch sticks out and thus is closer to the lightsource. The only way to achieve this would be to shade or tint the lightsource in that area so the wheel arch won't give the impression of being highlighted. This I feel is all but impossible for this application.

If you're still not happy with them then all I can say is to remove the bulbs altogether as you will never achieve the look you are craving.

Since mine have been done I think Audi themselves should take a peepers and use this as the OEM standard.

Can you tell i'm a happy bunny?
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  22. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Feb 10, 2012]
    WOW thats a great improvement! mine still have the bluey-purpulish tint on it... will move the bulbs out as the light just looks so much better!
  23. Helifella

[Feb 10, 2012]
    Yeah it's a double win not only does it give crystal white light but because the LED's are not tucked away inside the lamp housing there is a far greater spread of illumination. Also there is no real chance of knocking the light as they are tucked underneath and the rear ones are inside the newer lamp housings so rear passengers won't kick them inadvertantly.

I'd love to road trip to the factory and say "now THIS is the interior light pack" :)
  24. Baffles

Baffles Member

[Feb 10, 2012]
    I'm currently moving house and just wanted to say how bloody useful the nice white LED boot light is when moving stuff in the dark - defo one of the best mods I've done, and makes you realise how poor the OEM one is!
  25. Helifella

[Feb 10, 2012]
    You'd think with Audi leading the way with LED DRL's they'd use them inside the cars too??? I know they have them fitted in some cars as my sister has LED's in her A5 Cabrio but they are way to small / dim and purply. Put it this way she was really jealous when she clapped eyes on mine.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  26. t8ups

[Feb 10, 2012]
    Im Happy you all like my LED's.

if you want me to post out the double sided tape with the bulbs i can do for the footwell lamps.

Trups
  27. VeeDubDan

VeeDubDan Active Member

[Feb 10, 2012]
    Trups sent you a PM a while back without reply so can you PM me a quote for the following please? I have a 2011 3 door S3 which has none of the optional lighting upgrades from the factory (but I have replaced the front dome light for the version with the map reading lights/red ambeint leds). So I think I need the following;

Front Dome
    Rear Dome
    Map Reading Lights
    Sun Visors
    Glove Box
    Boot

Thanks Dan
  28. t8ups

[Feb 10, 2012]
    PM'd.

Sorry, it must of slipped through the net.

Trups
  29. *Müllërz

*Müllërz REVOlutionary

[Feb 14, 2012]
    I mean the light ommited from the led is brighter on one side of the footwell.

You maybe right in terms of a xenon not giving a consistent amount of light, as the light ommited is more powerful compared to halogen and thus where the aim of the light is pointing will be more brighter and intense than the rest of the footwell.
    What i was suggesting was a xenon bulb rather than leds, similar to the halogen bulbs standard which omit the light evenly in the footwell.

btw I dont think audi would do them with leds due to them not looking right and the light omiting more at one point rather than equally..

My friend who has fitted xenon interior leds into all sorts of cars is currently looking into it for me atm, i will post some pics once we have a good solution. But if you are happy with your then i am glad for you. But i would rather have them look right and not just be content with the lights colour being changed
  30. Helifella

[Feb 14, 2012]
    Xenon & Light emitting diodes are two completely different lighting technologies so to state "xenon interior led's" is a strange one. I am positive they will be LED's and the word xenon simply relates to the colour temperature of the light they emit. If they were actual xenon they would have to be a bulb which has the xenon gas inside and a ballast attached to produce the extra voltage required to ignite the gas inside etc etc. Or you could look at having a bespoke light made up which positions the LED's in a curved fashion to spread the light.
    I would like to add btw I do think audi would do them with leds due to them looking right and the light omiting equally.

Why not reposition the the light be it LED, bulb, xenon, candle, flare, glow stick further away from the wheel arch so it lights up that really really dark corner that the footwell troll lives in?

[​IMG]

The End.:keule:
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012