EM tuning ed light upgrade

Nice one Paullie, makes the interior look fresh doesn't it.

What did you do with the footwell lights? Did you manage to set the bulbs up to avoid the purple refractions?

Unlike my last A3, my current car doesn't have the extended lighting pack, Warren, so no footwell lights to swap over :(. My other half wants a full set of LED's in the Freelander2 now, having seen mine and then 'seeing green cheese', so tonight I've been researching how to go about doing puddle and footwell lights etc on it. It uses all the same bulb fitments - just some different configurations - so will definitely be placing another order with the main man Trups, when he gets back from his hols, lol. :wub xx

Reactions: pinterovski
i thought my eyes were playing games with me when i first saw that purple haze on the footwell... look directly at the bulb and its a bright white, set it back into place and its got that funny glow on the carpets?

I place an order for full set LED's,they should be in my hands till the end of the week:wub:
Lookin forward to see no Errors:hubbahubba:
Trups the LED's top man!!!

Reactions: nally and Paullie
i thought my eyes were playing games with me when i first saw that purple haze on the footwell... look directly at the bulb and its a bright white, set it back into place and its got that funny glow on the carpets?

Bizarre isn't it! No amount of fiddling resolved it so I used those bulbs in the glove box / boot and used some freebie Philips Crystal Vision W5W's I'd received with my H11 Fog lights for the footwells. Much whiter than the factory ones, but not quite white enough. It's nothing to do with Trups LED's, it's the ****ty refractor lens on the OEM light casing, so wondering whether it's possible Audi do a clear fronted lens version on any other car / application.

I'm definately doing this as my first DiY mod after I've paid for an AUX retrofit. Actually excited about giving it a go. Hopefully i'll be able to sort it myself......

T8ups, could you PM me the details for the full lighting pack? Are your payment details the same PayPal from earlier in the thread?

Nally, just about to watch the youtube vid to decide whether i'll be competent enough to fit this lighting pack!! Fingers crossed.

Well Im still half way through. Got cold one night and do everything bar the puddle lights. Plus had to repair two of the light units as the wires fell off. Started to do it again tonight and can't get the ****** housings out the doors. Any ideas?

Edit: got it out in the end with a trim tool. Turns out that on the newer A3s, Audi give sweet F all in terms of cable length. Now it's out, I can't grab hold of the connector to plug it back in. Looks like I'm gonna have to take the bottom part of the door card off. Nice...

Last edited:
Reactions: nally
Edit: got it out in the end with a trim tool. Turns out that on the newer A3s, Audi give sweet F all in terms of cable length. Now it's out, I can't grab hold of the connector to plug it back in. Looks like I'm gonna have to take the bottom part of the door card off. Nice...

Ouch, glad I left those ones off my list! Best of luck!

I'm definately doing this as my first DiY mod after I've paid for an AUX retrofit. Actually excited about giving it a go. Hopefully i'll be able to sort it myself......

T8ups, could you PM me the details for the full lighting pack? Are your payment details the same PayPal from earlier in the thread?

Nally, just about to watch the youtube vid to decide whether i'll be competent enough to fit this lighting pack!! Fingers crossed.

its really easy i only made the video as i looked on all the fourms and youtube but one one had done one just hope its saves some broken lights for people. also i am the type of person who has to see if somthing delivers what it says ( no errors) they are awsome best mod on my car look great if you have drl's also. just take your time

Ouch, glad I left those ones off my list! Best of luck!

This gives you an idea of how much cable they allow!!! Very annoyed. I'm either gonna have to extend the cable or open up the door card to even fit the original back in.

4c56d19f.jpg

That is tight. Changing the indicators on this car leave you needing a skin graft, they would rather you left alone or paid the £150ph for their tards to do stuff for you.

its really easy i only made the video as i looked on all the fourms and youtube but one one had done one just hope its saves some broken lights for people. also i am the type of person who has to see if somthing delivers what it says ( no errors) they are awsome best mod on my car look great if you have drl's also. just take your time

Cheers man, I hoPe so. Struggling along with removing an old Audi phone prep so won't be getting the lights till next month. Ha. Hole in dash nightmare to resolve then I'll be right to it!

Has got way to dark to do anymore now. Going to have to open the door up tomorrow and sort out the cable length issue...

My advice, if you have a new 3door A3 don't upgrade the puddle lights unless you are willing to have to extend the cable length. Oh and grate your knuckles off in he process :p

Today i received LED's and i install them immediately but there si one problem,
on the drivers side i disconnect that red plastic light on the door and when i try to
connect again it seems that cables are not long enough :/
Now i cant get the cables out and i'm really mad!

What to do now?

Sounds like a door skin off job for those red door lights.

I'm really ****** off mate :/
Cables should be long enough for bulb change!

Agreed, poor show by Audi and a bit of an oversight. Makes a job that should be 2 minutes into a proper big job.

Standard loom will be tight, its all about saving a few mm's of cable which adds up when you do millions of looms.

I make mine looms that little bit longer just to make life easier for people :)

Trust me when I say I feel your pain!

Its a massive ball ache. I have the same problem with the puddle light (See picture above). I have had to take my door card off and then extend the loom just to plug the Ffferr back in.

I can make you a link loom to extend it if you want, i can make it plug and play for you. pm me if you are interested.

When Trups fitted mine he popped the bottom of each door card, like you all say pain in the derrière.

Ok,today was a stressfull day and when i get home i decided
to change parking lights for some LED's.
I removed the old one and connect new one,then i tried to put back in the headlight
and i just couldnt do it!
After 10 minutes of struggling the Led bulb disconnected and fall into the headlight.
I was so ****** off so i brake couple of things (not the car) and even kicked my neighbour
in the **** (he was jabbling dabbling all along):whip:

Can someone tell me what options do i have to get the bulb out!?

Last edited:
You are going to have to take the head light out, this will involve taking the front bumper off though, its not a quick job to do but its straight forward.

Is this the only way?
I really dont want to take the front bumper off :/

I have the light pack factory and got the whole kit
What a pita to fit. In the end i cut off the white connectors and wired directly
Are the footwells supposed to perform the bulb check and flash when in ignition like the side mirrors?
Also my footwells are brighter on one side with a hint of purple, any fixes yet?

I had the exact same problem the led sidelight bulb fell Into the headlight which was so annoying. The bulb holder with resistor doesn't hold the bulb tight enough. What I did was put some Sellotape on a toothbrush and somehow got the bulb out by getting the tape to stick to it and getting it out. It took me about 2 hours and I still don't have led sidelights. Perfect!!

Chris

had the exact same problem the led sidelight bulb fell Into the headlight which was so annoying. The bulb holder with resistor doesn't hold the bulb tight enough. What I did was put some Sellotape on a toothbrush and somehow got the bulb out by getting the tape to stick to it and getting it out. It took me about 2 hours and I still don't have led sidelights. Perfect!!

Sounds like a fun day
Dont go bashing someones head in with the headlight unit

Haha I am very tempted!!

lmao

After 10 minutes of struggling the Led bulb disconnected and fall into the headlight.
I was so ****** off so i brake couple of things (not the car) and even kicked my neighbour
in the **** (he was jabbling dabbling all along):whip:

Dont be doing the above too chris

Trups should be back soon guys

Sure he can advise

Also my footwells are brighter on one side with a hint of purple, any fixes yet?

Same with mine... I thought I could live the purple haze but it's starting to annoy me. I also get a very light yellow tinge as the light spread moves further down my footwell. Bear in mind this isn't down to the LEDs but the plastic housing. When the light refracts off the housing it creates bits of purple and a slight tinge of yellow.

I may just pull them out and use a white neon bar that I can wire in and hide away. That way im gonna get a nice crisp "LED effect" white light. Bothing too major.

The only other option is to see if its possible to get clear housings.

But how does the housings effect the lights direction to be stronger on one side?
The rest of the housing for the front visors neway are the same arnt they?i know the reading housing see thru plastic is different,
But the visor leds are not brighter on one side or giving off a purple tint
Get some pics up when you done it fella

The sun visor lenses are more of a clear plastic and like acrylic whereas the footwell light lenses are like a poly ethene or something like that and much lower quality and less clear

Chris

makes semse the pattern seemed the same...any luck with your solutions?

I had the exact same problem the led sidelight bulb fell Into the headlight which was so annoying. The bulb holder with resistor doesn't hold the bulb tight enough. What I did was put some Sellotape on a toothbrush and somehow got the bulb out by getting the tape to stick to it and getting it out. It took me about 2 hours and I still don't have led sidelights. Perfect!!

Chris

chris,

you can tighten up the holder by using a small screw driver and pushing the clips closer to each other.

i have no idea on how to retrieve a bulb out of the head lamp unless you took the lamp out.

it did happen to me on a TT and i put some tape on my fingers and got it back that way.

I Will be back tomo so i can get a few pictures up of an idea that will get rid of the purple haze that the lamp holder is making without having to buy some new lamps.

its not how i intended to use the bulbs when i designed them but its the best solution and wont cost nothing if you already have the led panel i supply.

Thanks
Trups

I tried this and the bulb fell into the headlight for a second time and after that i gave up with them, the main beam bulbs you send me were very good but was not overly impressed with the sidelight kit. i have ordered these instead for the sidelight so i don't have to use the resistor wire and can plug it straight into the existing sidelight holder Bulbs: AUDI / A3 SPORT BACK / 2004-2005 (54)

Chris