EM-Tuning Clear lens mod DIY. 8P2 Non-Adaptive Bi-Xenons

Chrisk1993

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
This kit can be purchased from @t8ups.

Required tools:

Long flathead screw driver, Torx screwdriver set, Long nose pliers, Cleaning cloths, Heat gun, Large cardboard box.

remove-clips_zpsfyxi9u32.png

Remove the 2 clips from the top of the headlight

remove-clips2_zpsb9wpkk8w.png

Then remove the 3 clips from the bottom of the headlight.

ballast_zpsdmmsxqhd.png

Unscrew the 3 screws and remove the ballast from the bottom of the headlight then prepare to remove the lens from the lamp.

My preferred method of heating the lamp up is to use a large cardboard box, cut a small hole in it allowing you to put the head of the heat gun in, Then place the headlight in the box and heat it up, So the box essentially becomes an oven.

Common sense is needed here as you don't want any metal touching the cardboard box and do not place the lamp directly in the way that the heat is blowing.

trim_zpswo8dbb3f.png

Remove the lens and unscrew the 3 screws and remove the trim.

trim-after_zpsbrttmxai.png

shroud-clips_zpsczxljt5g.png

Unclip the 2 clips at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock looking straight at the headlight and take the projector shroud off.

lense-holder_zpsfswoxrli.png

Unscrew the 4 screws and remove the lens holder from the headlight.

lense-out_zpsbwsfrhae.png

lense-clips_zpsgmmnsjv3.png

Bend all of the clips straight and remove the lens from it's holder.

new-lense-insertion_zpsxwoomp9s.png

Put the new lens back in making sure that it is aligned to the bottom and bend the clips back over the lens

bend-shutter_zpsklzuuihl.png

Using your long nose pliers bend the lens shutter to a 90 degree angle.

projector_zpspsqad4k5.png

Whilst it is all apart I always clean the projector, When cleaning you don't want to use any window cleaning or chemicals, Use some distilled water and a cotton cloth that is not rough or abrasive, do not scrub hard on the chrome pieces within the light as you can rub it away as it's just a coating.

This is my preferred method and I take no responsibility if you run away the chrome. Be extra careful when cleaning the reflector bowl.

shutter-screw_zps2wvijlep.png

Unscrew this screw from the rear of the headlight until the shutter sits flush.

reverse_zpsnih37gr6.png

Reverse the procedure and reassemble the headlight.

together_zpsqlkej7jg.png

Heat the headlight back up and push the lens back into place until fully secured.

Reactions: mister.c., t8ups and Sandra
Can't be legal surely having a clear lens over a HID bulb.

Anyway looks awesome, how much for the kit?

They are Legal, all the light is still under the cutoff so will not dazzle anyone.

Clear lens are £40 for the set
Clear lens with etching are £75 for the set
Morimoto D1S bulbs are £60
Postage is £4.40 to the UK.

Trups

I'm just doing this lens retrofit now and not sure why I'm bending the small piece of metal on the front of the shutter? (The metal bit with two letters stamped on it (LV on mine), held on with two rivets attached to the main larger shutter).

It seems to sit level with the main shutter, so I'm not sure what difference it will make, but also I assume it's only the very top part to bend forwards so as not to reveal the holes to the bulb/bowl?

I went ahead and bent the rivetted down from the top but kept the two small holes covered - hopefully should be ok!

I took a few photos along the way. Realise these cars are now getting old and are not flavour of the month anymore, but I've owned this 8p A3 for almost 10yrs now, having had two before, and thought I'd treat it to some new headlights.

I made some modifications to the shroud colour, basically giving the projector shroud a bit of mascara (black ring) and tinted the whole shroud. I think it works quite well as it was a bit of guesswork how dark to go. With the black ring around the lens it makes the projector appear a little bigger IMO. First photo is just after I removed the main headlight cover.

1 IMG 5681
2 IMG 5691

Attachments

• 3_IMG_5689.JPG
    3_IMG_5689.JPG
    325.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 4_IMG_5693.JPG
    4_IMG_5693.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 209