1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronic Park Brake Feature

veeeight Apr 23, 2014

1. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl VCDS Map User Black Edition

On page 93 of the Owners Manual:

"The Parking Brake is applied automatically if the driver's door is opened while the ignition is on. This is to prevent the vehicle from accidently rolling away".

I have a S-tronic without the Hold Assist Option.

This does NOT work for me - does this "feature" work for anyone else? (without Hold Assist)

2. danilotto

danilotto Active Member Audi S3

Uhm, you are right. It does not work also for me. Maybe the same story of the S3 badge on the key. (Simply it does not exist).

3. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

I got an S key fob!

4. veeeight

1. We are not talking about fobs, the brochure promised a "S" moulded remote key which never materialised. The Golf R has an "R" in the brightwork of the remote key.

2. This thread and topic is about EPB, not about your key fob. Try to keep on topic (hard for you I know).

h5djr and slipped_disc like this.
  5. monopole

monopole Well-Known Member

6. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

It works for me (on occasions) as I've opened the door to check how close I am to the kerb and the bloody parking brake has come on as I'm still moving, albeit slowly. Manual S3.

hittchy likes this.
  7. veeeight

Interesting!

Do you have Hold Assist?

And why only on occasion :(

8. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

I do, and because I recall it didn't do it last time I opened my door. I shall test shortly as I need to fill up, and what better time to do it than at 11pm when the roads are quiet :)

9. danilotto

Now I recall a fact occurred this morning. I have the Hold Assist on S-Tronic and I admit that I never use it. But this morning I used it just to play. I did something I do not recall exactly that automatically disengaged the Hold Assist and engage the hand brake. I will do another test tomorrow morning to discover what I do for triggering this event.

10. Flibble

Flibble Active Member Team Estoril

Putting mine in park with hold assist on engages the parking brake. Not noticed it coming on in any other circumstance so far.

audiruss likes this.
  11. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

I tested tonight. It definitely comes on if I'm stationary and open the door. It doesn't seem to come on if I'm still moving and open the door. I also need my seatbelt on.

12. veeeight

Thanks for testing!

The way it's described in the manual, this should work without Hold Assist. But it seems not!

warren_S5 likes this.
  13. MA3RC

MA3RC Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi A3 Team Brill Red

I have a manual with hold assist and it does this, I find it annoying, as per a previous post when you open the door to judge a gap the handbrake comes on.

It also does the same when you take the drivers seat belt off, I find this pretty handy. Pull up, into neutral, seat belt off, job done :)

RYuill likes this.
  14. veeeight

UPDATE:

I do not have Hold Assist, and I have got this to work (automatically apply the Park Brake if I open the Drivers Door)

Pre-requisites:
    Driver Seat Belt on or off
    Gearbox in D

Roll to a halt (or rolling under 3mph) - open door with gearbox still in D, Park Brake comes ON !!!

(Does not work if gearbox in "N" or "P")

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  15. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

I tried mine this afternoon and my findings are the same, although I do have Hold Assist but I has it switched off. Works with the s-tronic in manual mode as well but as you say, not in N or P.

16. JohnM100

JohnM100 #teamSepang VCDS Map User Gold Supporter

Just don't try opening the door when it's stationary but in D with start/stop active. It bleats like an incoming missile warning.....

veeeight likes this.
  17. danilotto

None of this happens on mine. I think it is market dependent.

18. Flibble

Flibble Active Member Team Estoril

Yeah I had this today, wonder why it was going mental for a minute until I realised I'd left it in D. ;)

19. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

So you could say the system did it's job, reminding you about being in left in D. I wonder if it would spot an incoming missile? We may soon be in a position to find out:)

20. B8on19s

B8on19s New Member

Works for me in D when stationary and one opens the door. MMi also beep and warns.

Also there is some sequence of events when u switch off, put car in P and open door, Parking brake engages automatically

21. veeeight

^ Do you have the Hold Assist Option?

22. danilotto

Tested this evening! If I open the driver door with the gearbox in D, the handbrake engages with missile warning sound.

veeeight likes this.
  23. B8on19s

B8on19s New Member

No I dont...

24. oufc1976

oufc1976 Member

Slightly off topic. Car went in to Audi Coventry today to have the software update applied to fix the faulty handbrake release problem.

Left the paperwork in the car, but I think it was software update #4305

Anyone know if this fixes anything else? Is there a link to a 'release note' of sorts?

25. veeeight

After 2 months of ownership, I have discovered this other permutation.

(No Hold Assist).

Stop Car
    Release seat belt
    Move gear into P
    Open door
    Switch off engine (leave key in)
    Wait approx 10-20 seconds
    EPB will automatically engage

I think it will also automatically engage with a variation of the above, but haven't yet had time to explore!

illingworth22 likes this.