Electrical pop then misfire/poor boost

Captainwow

Reaction score
Used the TT (225 BAM 2004) for the first time in a couple of months today. Was running fine, then all of a sudden there was what sounded like a loud sharp pop (maybe from behind the dashboard), and no boost, then felt like it was misfiring. Haven't had chance to plug it into VagCom yet, and I'm hoping it's just a boost/vacuum hose or coilpack! The EML is flashing, and the car smelt very VERY "catty", if that makes sense. Hopefully that's just the misfire dumping unburnt fuel into the cat. Unless the cat's blocked? ARGH!

Was just wondering if anyone had experienced this before, or might have an idea as to what it could be?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Could be as you say a vacuum pipe, check under hood as my S3 did this one day & I shat myself lol, check engine oil levels see if its dropped, if not then doubt its turbo.

Reactions: Captainwow
I'm hoping that's all it is. I don't think it's turbo, as there's no smoke etc and the EML is on. Plus it's not just on boost, it's idling roughly too.

Coil Packs? Kinda typical failure pattern.
If they haven't been done before rings Audi customer service as there is a 'replacement offer' not a recall of course.

Reactions: Captainwow
Thanks for the suggestions and help guys. Turned out it was just a coilpack, no3. Got one from work for £20...jobbed. Runs better than ever.

It's been suggested I should change all 4, do you guys think that's really worth doing?

Defo...change em all ideally for the same type, manufacturer etc ..... one goes another follows... they have a finite life.

Thanks TYphoon, I'll get them done this weekend then. :)