1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrical issues

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Hangn69, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Hangn69

Hangn69 New Member

[Feb 1, 2010]
    Having strange issues with my 04 avant last couple of days.Everytime I switch my headlights off the tailgate opens.If I press the lock button next to the drivers door handle before I do this it doesnt open the tailgate.Anyone have any ideas?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 28, 2014]

3. Woorlord

Woorlord shifting to Hyperspace... . VCDS Map User

[Feb 2, 2010]
    Strange combination of faults?

"Power control unit" (PCU) deals with the headlights and the "Convenience module" (CM) deals with the locking/alarm etc., all interfaced to the door switch by CAN-BUS.

PCU under steering wheel to lower right on RHD car.
    CM under front passenger seat.

Does your remote open the tailgate OK?

Perhaps a short in the loom between signals for tailgate lock and rear lights - may be worth tracking the loom and check for possible shorts or damaged wires?
    Looms should run under the internal plastic covers on top of sills - however would have thought lights and locking signals run on different sides owing to module locations.
    Therefore, one would assume possible wiring fault where the two wires merge together - maybe in the tailgate area - number plate lights and wire to lock motor probably close to each other??
  4. Hangn69

Hangn69 New Member

[Feb 2, 2010]
    opens normally with remote ,works fine in every way.Just opens when I turn headlights off.I have replaced the lock mechanism recently as the microswitch inside was gone but it worked fine only the last couple of days its started acting up.
  5. Hangn69

Hangn69 New Member

[Feb 7, 2010]
    update ,when I turn headlight switch off the lock actuator/rod is opening the tailgate, not the alarm/microswitch.Also while trying to solve this problem I have found that if I disconnect the harness plug from the back of the headlight/sidelight switch with it in the off position and turn the ignition to on but not start the headlights and side lights are all on,is this normal?
  6. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Feb 7, 2010]
    Would seem to be correct from a safety view, as if it doesnt detect the switch, then its better to have them on at all times as it doesnt matter if there on during day & better safe than sorry if the headlight switch failed at night huh, probably a default feature
  7. J7USS

J7USS Shuddup Foooool!!

[Feb 7, 2010]
    "Autobots Stand by"... :scared2: