Electrical Issue

Longjohn

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have used this website a few times to help me with past problems but now I have a problem that no one seems to have heard of. Bit of background information I have an Audi A4 (B7) Avant 2006 1.8t.

I am trying to install foot well LEDs that come on with the headlights. I have a dedicated 12v source brought straight from the battery to a distribution block under my steering wheel which I use to power various other things. This is controlled by a relay to only be active when the ignition is on.

I am trying to use a relay with a tap into something (ciggy lighter light, Ashtray light, headlight switch) which only has power when the headlights are on. The above are a few places I have tried all with the same result. During the day, when I install and test it all works perfectly however when I try it at night the relay buzzes like crazy. Now I have done some research and I am lead to believe that Pulse Width Modulation is used for most LED lighting in my car however I am not sure what changes at night. I do not have Auto Lights or any light sensor (that I know of).

My questions are:
1) Does anyone know of why the buzzing might only occur at night?
2) Has anyone tried an install similar to this? If so what source did you tap and how?

This has been driving me nuts for weeks now. I appreciate you guys taking time to read this and I would be grateful of any help.

Thanks

Longjohn