Electric Windows driving me mad !

Reaction score
Hi all, this is a long shot but thought id ask any way, i have just changed the doorcards on my 2006 sportback (so they mach my new interior) and now i only have power windows in the drivers rear door, i Initially thought that i had damaged the looms when i was changing them over so i sent the passenger side looms to Nigel "NHN" to have a look at them, but i did remove them with extreme care, so whilst I'm waiting to hear back from him just thought id ask if any one else has had any issue like this before?? Like unplugging something from the car, plugging it back in and it doesn't work :(
(although I'm sure no one has)
Mart

Last edited:
i'm assuming you've tried them all off their own switches as well as all 4 drivers door switches?

I changed all 3 doorcards except the drivers one (as it started raining) and 2 of the 3 I changed just stopped working but all windows worked from the drivers door which was great so I sent the 2 looms I thought were faulty off to Nigel.
So after driving around with 1 doorcard different to the other 3 for a month and a half I decided to change the drivers door card taking extra care with the loom, however when I plugged it back in I now have no switches at all working on drivers door either, completely at a loose end now :(

if they're all closed, have you tried the "autoclose reset" procedure to see if that does anything, ie hold each one in the up position for a few seconds til you hear a click?

Also, do they work off the fob?

Reactions: martinivw
They did all work from the fob, until I changed the drivers doorcard over :( I now have no electric mirrors, Windows or lock switch (no electrics) from the drivers door !
IIRC I had the car scanned when i had only 2 non working switches and had no errors ?
Completely stumped now

did you use your own switches or the ones that came with the cards ?

are you sure you plugged them in correct they can be funny sometimes.

Plugged them back in the same way they were in when they worked, once the pink locking tab goes down I'm not sure what else I could do?

Is there a chassis connection inside the door? maybe the neg. wire not connected to it. Apart from that you need a meter to find the problem.

Is there a chassis connection inside the door? maybe the neg. wire not connected to it. Apart from that you need a meter to find the problem.
Not sure, I wouldn't know how to use a meter tbh :eek: the 2 auto electricians I spoke to basically lost interest when they heard I had changed the doorcards over !
I thought it was a little weird when this happened to them all except 1 after unplugging then plugging them back again :,(

it sounds like the switch loom isnt connected to the motors correctly, if they worked and all you have done is swap door cards and used your old looms and switches it cant be anything else

it sounds like the switch loom isnt connected to the motors correctly, if they worked and all you have done is swap door cards and used your old looms and switches it cant be anything else
yeah, I understand, although I'm not sure what more I can do with them? , the plugs clip into position in the switches, and when plugged into the motors/module the pink locking tab "locks them in position" but I will have a look at them when it's daylight and not raining :(

Not 100% if I'm on the right track..

Did you disconnect the battery before disconnecting the looms? It may be possible it's gone into a failsafe / insufficient battery mode.

You could try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes or so, which will allow everything to reset and then reconnect all of the looms whilst the battery is still disconnected. Then reconnect the battery and keep your fingers crossed.

As always, it is your decision whether to follow my method or not.

Not 100% if I'm on the right track..

Did you disconnect the battery before disconnecting the looms? It may be possible it's gone into a failsafe / insufficient battery mode.

You could try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes or so, which will allow everything to reset and then reconnect all of the looms whilst the battery is still disconnected. Then reconnect the battery and keep your fingers crossed.

As always, it is your decision whether to follow my method or not.

I didn't disconnect the battery when I changed the looms over but I did disconnect the battery and left it for 60mins before reconnecting it to see if it done anything a day or 2 later, I will try any method if there's a chance of it working :)

I didn't disconnect the battery when I changed the looms over but I did disconnect the battery and left it for 60mins before reconnecting it to see if it done anything a day or 2 later. however I will try this again and disconnect-reconnect the looms whilst battery is disconnected on the chance it does something , I will try any method if there's a chance of it working :)