1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric problem - HEEELLLP!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by mordz, Mar 14, 2007.

1. mordz

mordz Audi S3 (2000)

[Mar 14, 2007]
    Hi Guys, im new round here (from leeds in the uk)

I have a 2000 model S3 and have been messing round with the HeadUnit etc.

Its the bose fully amplified model. basicly i had taken the factory fit HU out and was messing with a new multiblock i had purchased and was hooking some RCA in plugs to go to the amp.

anywas my new head unit worked fine so i took it out and left it for a day while i got one with some other stuff.

when going back to finish the job nothing would power on. i could eject cds from the HU when the ignition was on but thats it.

i disconnected it all and hooked up the fatory fit HU. this was dead. wouldnt do jack.

on further inspection / testing with multimeter i notice the 12v perm live is no longer perm it just comes 12v when the ignition comes on ??!?!

i checked all fuses etc and cant find any blown. i made sure i didnt touch the standard audi plugs and only changed things on the harness i purchased.. im lost.

can anyone help?:ermm:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. reza

reza Member

[Mar 15, 2007]
    PM AndyMac. He's the man to talk to on all things related to Audi stereo's...
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 15, 2007]
    If the perm live is dead then it has to be a fuse. Locate the Radio fuse in the handbook but also cross reference it with the fuse map on the inside of the fusebox cover as the manual is not always accurate.
    Check the fuse but also ensure the fuse is getting a 12v reading with the multimeter. Also check the fuse on the back of the HU as it might have blown both fuses, but you need to get 12v going to the perm live first off.
  5. mordz

mordz Audi S3 (2000)

[Mar 15, 2007]
    Super, thanks for tips Andy.

Will check that when i get home...

ill go over all fuses with a multi meter and post back here my findings.

If someone can post a pin out of the perm live on the stock harness that would be usefull also.

Thanks

Alex
  6. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 15, 2007]
    Here you go
    [​IMG]

Perm live is the UB+, top right if looking at the back of the HU with the black power ISO plugged in (with locking pin on left), usually red with white stripe.
  7. mordz

mordz Audi S3 (2000)

[Mar 15, 2007]
    Spot on mate, foud the problem - fuse as you suggested.. i had checked the radio and S fuse and was ok. turnes out its labled up wrong.. i re checked them all and found one blown.

All working

Thanks to everyone for helping
  8. mordz

mordz Audi S3 (2000)

[Mar 15, 2007]
    just out of interest which is the ignition 12v?

id guess bottom line, 2nd in from left?

i dont have a wire coming from that on mine