Electric Folding Mirrors

wallacr

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was just wondering if it's easily possibly to upgrade a 2001 (B6) to have electric folding mirrors? Or would it work out to be expensive and more hassle than it's worth?

I always thought this was a waste of time until this week when I had a mirror shattered whilst parked up. Worst of all on a car I've only had for just over a week.

Cheers,

Rich

Probably quite pricey to be honest. You could just fold them in manualy if its a problem. I had my standard ones kicked of recently and they cost a fortune to replace so electric ones are gonna be stupid money I reckon.

petewon said:
Probably quite pricey to be honest. You could just fold them in manualy if its a problem. I had my standard ones kicked of recently and they cost a fortune to replace so electric ones are gonna be stupid money I reckon.

I thought that may be the case, but thought it was worth looking at.

Thanks for your prompt replies tonight, I appreciate it.

Rich

petewon said:
No probs Rich, Ive just been looking on ebay there and they dont seem too expensive. These are for the B7 model but only £65, not including glass and housing though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-ELECT...ryZ10372QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Im not sure where the switch to fold them in goes though. When I fitted my standard ones it was a pain of a job.

That's not as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks for the link.

I wonder if all the wiring is there and it's just a case of connecting them. Well apart from the pain job of fitting then, as I imagine if it's a pain to fit normal mirrors, these will be worse.

Think I'll keep my eyes open on eBay for some B6 folding mirrors and hope they come up soo :)

Cheers,

Rich

How do they fold in the then? Is it a switch or triggered by ignition or what?

Nice link, the prices really aren't as bad as I was expecting, if they fit with no other modding that is.

Did you originally have folding mirrors?

Cheers,

Rich

petewon said:
How do they fold in the then? Is it a switch or triggered by ignition or what?

AFAIK, there's a button on the adjustment switch thingy (facelift models IIRC) although I suppose if you were a little handy with electrics you could wire it so that they folded when the ignition was turned off. I was thinking about fitting them to mine but decided not to.

wallacr said:
Did you originally have folding mirrors?

Gladly no, mine were the poor relative DIY-folding types (and still are for the mo!)

Thanks for replying, it's good to know that someone else has fitted them after market.

Did you have to run any additional wires to the mirrors? Or were all the connectors there? I'm just wondering if it's something that you could connect up and tell the car that it's there via vag-com.

Cheers,

Rich

Sorry Rich, I didn't get the electric folding ones, I just got the normal, everyday fold-in-yourself ones. TBH, it doesn't look too complicated in theory but I don't know whether there's any difference as far as the connectors are concerned.

From what I can gather from the Haynes wiring diagrams, the easiest way to do it would be to run a relay off the ignition switch that folds them in when it's switched off. Bear in mind I'm no auto-electrician so I wouldn't be doing it myself - knowing my luck the passenger window would open when I turned the radio on if I wired it!!

Thanks Justin. I think next weekend I might take one of the current mirrors off and take a look at the wiring in there and take it from there. Mind you, I guess if I've got the mirrors off, I could easily run some additional wire if it needs to be ran.

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, I appreciate it.

Rich

I have a spare set of B6 electric folding mirrors if anyone is interested as I upgraded to the ally ones which also had the motors in. Mine are complete with glass.

Andy

andyccr said:
I have a spare set of B6 electric folding mirrors if anyone is interested as I upgraded to the ally ones which also had the motors in. Mine are complete with glass.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm interested in the mirrors. I'll give the main dealer a shout today to see how feasibly it is to make the change over from non-folding to folding mirrors and come back to you.

Cheers,

Rich

andyccr said:

Andy

Sorry Andy, I forgot to ask how much you are after for the mirrors?

Rich

It appears that this might not be as easy as I would have hoped. I was kind of hoping that the wiring was there, but it appears not.

I still like the idea of changing to folding mirrors, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start in wiring it up.

So unfortunately, I think I'll have to pass on the mirrors sorry Andy. Unless you have any ideas of how I'd wire them up to function?

Cheers,

Rich

I've just completed my electric folding mirrors upgrade and just in case anyone else is interested in adding them too, below are the parts you need and no rewiring or recoding is necessary:

Electric Folding Mirrors:

8E2 858 531 AC 01C
8E2 858 532 AC 01C

Door Control Modules/Motors:

8E2959802E
8E2959801E

You will also need to replace the mirror switch on the drivers door for the one that twists all the way round to fold the mirrors, I don't have the part number to hand though sorry.

Rich

So you replace the modules in the door, put new mirrors on, new switch and all is good?

Cheers for the part numbers!

So you replace the modules in the door, put new mirrors on, new switch and all is good?

Cheers for the part numbers!
Yip, it's that simple, the worst part is replacing the mirrors, but it's not that hard. Took me about and hour and half.

Would have had it cracked sooner, as I thought the S4 mirrors i bought were folding ones, but it turns out that not all S4 mirrors are folding ones so I bought the ones I mentioned above on Friday and they work a treat :)

Rich

andy,if no one else is interested in the folding mirrors you have and you still want to sell them can you pm with a price please,cheers

andy,if no one else is interested in the folding mirrors you have and you still want to sell them can you pm with a price please,cheers

That post was made in 2007 fella

hahaha,well he may till have them ! thanks anyways

The mirrors were about £175 each from Audi, the switch about £10 ish and the modules about £20-30 each (off ebay). I waited for ages hoping all the parts would show up on eBay, but no luck. Think there are a couple of the modules on there now (possibly on ebay.de).

Some other modules might also work, so might be worth getting the mirrors and switch first to see if that works.

It's not the cheapest mod, but where I live there are a lot of single track lanes and it's handy if you have to squeeze past another car in them and I like putting the mirrors in if I park on the street.

Rich

Can I just check mate that the modules are integrated with the window motors themselves? You don't need to ****** about with window cables like with the old 80 variants do you? just whip the old motors/modules out and shove the new ones in?

By the way do your mirros fold in automatically when you remote lock the car?

cheers
nj

I've just completed my electric folding mirrors upgrade and just in case anyone else is interested in adding them too, below are the parts you need and no rewiring or recoding is necessary:

Electric Folding Mirrors:

8E2 858 531 AC 01C
8E2 858 532 AC 01C

Door Control Modules/Motors:

8E2959802E
8E2959801E

You will also need to replace the mirror switch on the drivers door for the one that twists all the way round to fold the mirrors, I don't have the part number to hand though sorry.

Rich