1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric folding door mirrors....

mdoyle69 Mar 26, 2004

1. mdoyle69

mdoyle69 Member

Does anyone know if its easy to get hold of electric folding door mirrors for my S3? The ones i have are electric adjustable and heated, but dont fold electrically

I am after the aluminium covers too.

Its not standard on mine....2002/2003 model, dont know why though!!!

I like gadgets so any help on this would be much appreciated!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. CARACTERE007

CARACTERE007 Member

yeah vagparts.com do them.....

3. mdoyle69

mdoyle69 Member

Thanks...

I've just emailed them!!

4. jgrand

jgrand Member

Post up the response. I'd be interested in hearing if it's possible and how much, etc.

5. recomdos

recomdos Active Member

yeah I'm interested too! they are well cool!

6. Woodster

Woodster Welcome to my world...

They do sound a bit special, might get some myself, depending on the $$$

7. mdoyle69

mdoyle69 Member

sorry guys but i am still waiting for vag to get back to me...will let ya all know asap

Audi quoted me £293+ vat for aluminium mirrors (the whole unit) which for the alu ones isnt bad at all!!!
    This wasnt the electric folding ones though.

VAG can get them brand new for £230 +VAT but as i say they havent got back to me about the folding ones yet.

There is still the question of wiring them up too!!!
    And getting the switch for the door.

I will keep you all informed!!!

8. mdoyle69

mdoyle69 Member

Hey all....

This is what VAG told me about the electric folding/adjustable/aluminium door mirrors.

"I can see why this couldn't be done but you will need to do a fair bit of wiring the mirrors are £307.89 +vat each, the switch you would need
    is £19.71 +vat"

If my calculator is working ok then they are £361.77 each. Thats not too bad, but it sounds as if it could be a pig to wire up!!!

I am still thinkin about it...let me know if any of you get it sorted!!!

Later....i gtg to work now

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. clcollins

clcollins Member

"I am still thinkin about it..."

I ordered a set on Wednesday, should be here by the end of the next week. I didn't go for the chrome backed version, that cut the cost quite alot.

They do sound difficult to wire up, but hey what else am I to do at weekends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

I'll let you know how it progresses.

10. recomdos

recomdos Active Member

good luck clcollins - can u record a step by step with piccies? (if it ain't too much hassle) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

and how much did the standard cap folding mirrors cost, as if they are reasonable I could in theory transfer my ali mirrors if I got them?

Step by step and pics would be nice too.

12. clcollins

clcollins Member

[ QUOTE ]
    S3 Mike said:
    and how much did the standard cap folding mirrors cost, as if they are reasonable I could in theory transfer my ali mirrors if I got them?

Step by step and pics would be nice too.

[/ QUOTE ]

There seems to be huge leap from standard to aluminium prices, have look below:

"Thanks for the enquiry on the question of the mirrors; I can't see any
    reason why this can't be done the mirrors are £98.53 +vat the new switch
    will be £19.71 +vat, you will have to add additional wiring to operate
    these. This would have to be made up. Hope this helps let me know"

So at £98.53 each and £19.71 for the switch + VAT, I was on the phone straight away. I will photograph the installation, I'm hoping the backs off my existing mirrors will fit the new ones so I don't have the get them colour matched, this would go for switching over your aluminium backs also.

When they arrive I'll take a photo and post it here so you can see what you get for your money.

Now the only remaining question is do I have them fold in when I turn the engine off or when I turn on the alarm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

Would be nice if the covers are transferable too.

Keep us posted!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

14. clcollins

clcollins Member

[ QUOTE ]
    S3 Mike said:
    Thanks for the info.

Would be nice if the covers are transferable too.

Keep us posted!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK got the kit last Friday and the good news is that you can simply fit your old covers onto the new fitting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. The not so good news is that it bloody difficult to wire up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

The mirrors have a simple electrical plug on them, but the relay that has to be wired into the circuit is a bit of a mystery. It has 6 spade connections comming out of it (with identification markings) but how that relates to the mirrors I don't know, looks like its going to be a steep learning curve in auto electronics. I can't even fit the mirrors in preperation for wiring up at a later date as they are in the closed position, Doh. Have a look at the pics, all help/pointing in the right direction greatly appreciated.

15. clcollins

clcollins Member

Another pic

16. clcollins

clcollins Member

And another

17. clcollins

clcollins Member

Last one, oh and by the way in total the kit cost just under £270 inc delivery.

18. garethj

garethj Member

You may find the following link helpful for info on relays:
    12 Volt .COM

19. recomdos

recomdos Active Member

i so want them! but don't like the look of all this technical wiring stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

20. S3BeemerBeater

S3BeemerBeater Member

[ QUOTE ]
    recomdos said:
    i so want them! but don't like the look of all this technical wiring stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!!!

Be sure to make very accurate notes and take lots of picies for the rest of us mere mortals to follow in your footsteps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

21. clcollins

clcollins Member

[ QUOTE ]
    garethj said:
    You may find the following link helpful for info on relays:
    12 Volt .COM

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

22. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

Cheers for the pics.........very tempting, but your going to have to be our gunie pig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif