EGT

S4twiggy

Fully Certified Detailer!!
Reaction score
am i right in thinking an EGT sensor is around £100? and how many are there on the S4?

my car is off to PW motorsport next weekend for a health check as ive noticed it aint been running right lately and the EGT is coming up alot from advice on the forums so im thinking it mite need one:( im £60 short of my coilys but they look to be on hold now until i get the car running full health, so if you see my car in audi in the park dont take the **** about the ride height lol

2 egts, one in each downpipe, think i paid around £140 from Audi and its worth fitting genuines, and if one or both has failed, which is common, you'll def notice a good difference

S4Twiggy, where you based? I am just off J48 of the M4. My car has been down to Phil several times. He seems to know his stuff.

I've had my EGTs replaced by Phil, as it happens, and I think they were £120 each at the time.

Car ran much smoother afterwards. It seemed to stutter before.

All I got to do now is sort out what's causing the ABS to come on below 20mph. Checked the rolling road speed and that all seems fine. Perhaps I should take it back to Phil!

im in merthyr mate, my car is running ok it jus seems to be flat and not much of a kick when i accelerate thats why its getting checked over, id like to pressure test it but i dont have a testing kit jus yet and not having vagcom is a pain too.

so phil seems to be ok does he mate, he seemed helpfull on the phone yesterday even when he was in castle combe

both times on mine when a egt went it was around 120 and the boost seemed to hit 10psi and stop dead but all felt smooth . Drivers side you can do yourself i did mine in about 20 mins but passenger side is a bit tricky to get to so is easier on ramps

like you said mate the car feel smooth but its no kick there, im goint to leave it to phil next weekend as he the professional, i hope he can find the fault an sort it cuz the other day i drove it it felt like a bullet but now its jus smooth, the kick is there but not like it should be. if the EGT was ******** would it make the car stutter like when a lambda sensor is dead

never did with me but could do suppose especially if both have gone due to running a faulty maf or something

it must be the EGT then, phil from PW mentioned it after i explained wot was wrong with the car so it must be common for an EGT to make the car feel flat

Hi Twiggy

Maybe I'll see you at Phil's on Saturday then, got mine booked in for a MAF replacement about 9.30 - 10am ish, what time you gonna be there?
Phil seems a top bloke, I popped in to see him last Friday to run the VAG-COM and got EGT and Lambda probe probs as well as the MAF, Phil said start with the MAF as this might cause LAmbda's to f*** up! lol. Could be a costly few weeks for me, I think I'm def in need of EGT's both of em grrrrr.
I bought the car not knowing what it's full potetial is so will be looking forward to some serious power after all is done.
One more thing did you know Phil also does remaps? When mine is running well again he is going to put a 6hr trial map on to see what i think.

Scott:kissmyrings:

When the Bosch MAF fails it normally reads less air volume than what is really going
in to the engine. This then results in underfueling and a lean mixture which often trips
)2 sensor codes (execpt short to ground which normally means a fubar sensor).
Running lean causes high EGT's which result in the engine dumping fuel and restricting
load. I'd start with replacing the MAF and clearing the codes to see what comes
back (unless you have short to ground codes).

Open/short to B+ intermittent is what it says :confused:

See what happens Saturday when he replaces the MAF fingers crossed that's all it is but knowing my crap luck I'll end up with another £700+ to have to spend on the ****** thing lol!

Hi Twiggy

Maybe I'll see you at Phil's on Saturday then, got mine booked in for a MAF replacement about 9.30 - 10am ish, what time you gonna be there?
Phil seems a top bloke, I popped in to see him last Friday to run the VAG-COM and got EGT and Lambda probe probs as well as the MAF, Phil said start with the MAF as this might cause LAmbda's to f*** up! lol. Could be a costly few weeks for me, I think I'm def in need of EGT's both of em grrrrr.
I bought the car not knowing what it's full potetial is so will be looking forward to some serious power after all is done.
One more thing did you know Phil also does remaps? When mine is running well again he is going to put a 6hr trial map on to see what i think.

Scott:kissmyrings:

hi mate, i should be down there for around 9-9.30am so i shall come say hello, im in te same boat as you mate as i too dont know the full potential of my S4 so im looking forward to finding and sorting the problem to see wot it capable of, im £60 short of getting my coilys and were due to order on friday but now i have to keep the money jus in case the EGT's come up faulty and need replacing:(:(:( but my car comes first and hey i can get the coilys in a few weeks time anyway cuz no rush. i read on his website that h does maps and gives a trial to see if you like which is always good cuz i lie to try before i buy, ill be getting my car into MRC tuning for the magic they produce, check them out mate and check out dougs(owner) 550bhp sleeper S4 www.mrctuning.com

took the car out tonight to see the mrs and the car feels like a normal 2.7, there feels like the turbos are not coming in properly, its so flat that its pissin me off now and cant wait till saturday to diagnose the problem and get it sorted, hope it dont cost me my left kidney:(:(

it is an s4 - you can usually bank on your bank balance being deflated on a constant basis!

i so hope its not the ****** turbos!!!! at wot RPM should you hear the turbos whistling while driving normal??

wot are the tell tale signs of the turbos going or gone?

If its definately the turbos, you'll here them squeel especially on boost. Need to check if there is bluey colour smoke coming out the exhuast... thats another sign.

You could be lucky it could just be the DV's being knackered.

Hope its nothing serious for you though.

its ok then mine are ok for now then, some guy sent me a link to a video on you tube of a S4 with blown turbos and damn its nasty ha

hope its nothing serious, hope its summin easy and not too expensive as im off to audi in the park

Sounds like you got similar probs to me m8! MAF, Lambda and EGT probs, to top it all my left rear spring bust on me the other night so I'm waiting for a price to get that fixed next week grrrrrr:wtf: oh well it's true what everyone says, these cars cost a small fortune to keep on the road, but hopefully worth it.

See you Saturday Twiggy mate!!